Spy Shot Of Defender? Dec. 1

The_Vermonster

"The Wrangler, according to FCA, has “more than 75 advanced safety and security features, including four standard-equipment air bags..."

OMG, 4 whole airbags!!! The wrangler has always been more of a utilitarian vehicle than the rest of the market. But it's lagging farther and farther behind in safety features. It only barely outsells the Cherokee, despite every Jeep enthusiast hating it. Pretty much the only thing it has going for it is the classic vibes. In the next few years it's going to face more competition than ever.

copleymotorcars

if you actually read that article, they only truly knocked it for pedestrian safety and for lack of electronic safety "features" like lane keeping assistance. nothing to do with the actual safety or integrity of the vehicle itself.

adam

Red90

"The Wrangler, according to FCA, has ?more than 75 advanced safety and security features, including four standard-equipment air bags..."

OMG, 4 whole airbags!!! The wrangler has always been more of a utilitarian vehicle than the rest of the market. But it's lagging farther and farther behind in safety features. It only barely outsells the Cherokee, despite every Jeep enthusiast hating it. Pretty much the only thing it has going for it is the classic vibes. In the next few years it's going to face more competition than ever.

You have zero understanding of the Wrangler market and it is the same market that would buy a real Defender in droves. Fortunately the people at Jeep understand.

donb

You have zero understanding of the Wrangler market and it is the same market that would buy a real Defender in droves. Fortunately the people at Jeep understand.

It is kind of funny that Jeep has been the only people to understand. Many years ago you could get a Blazer, Bronco, Scout, Land Cruiser, 4 Runner, and Samaris with removable roofs and off road/utility features.

Chevy is closing car plants where maybe a Blazer could have been made? I don?t know if I?m simplifying it but they have the Colorado running gear (with an exterior that looks pretty crappy IMO) and I?m sure a deep parts bin to make something. Do what they did with the 1st Gen S-10 and make it look like their full size trucks but smaller. Cage it, soft top, locked diff?s, small Duramax, and classic Chevy trucks looks I think it would give Jeep some solid competition. I?ve read the Colorado is a capable rig but damn it looks ugly especially the ZR1 package (which should make it look better). Hell last time I drove by the Subaru dealer they have more Jeep like vehicles (taller stance, AT tires, aux lighting and roof rack) than most of the SUV?s I see.

I?ve been listening to the Truck Show Podcast lately. The hosts are pretty goofy but they have a solid love for trucks and off road stuff so it is entertaining to me. On the Japanese maker side, one of the latest episodes had them looking at Nissans from around the world. Hard to determine what the vehicles looked like but thru the podcast it sounded like they were loving the more utility focused Nissans. Maybe some of the packages will show up here? The audio of the Nissan turbo diesel sounded nice. The 4Runner looks great but surprised Toyota hasn?t made a soft top version of it :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Well.... Toyota gets it (hinting at importing Hilux, and you can't argue with the number of overland Tacomas out there). And Mercedes gets it, but they don't care to sell them. Jeep gets it. Ford gets it (new Ranger, new Bronco). The new Colorado is getting it. Rivian gets it.

They are all doing it in their own way, but they get the right idea about what people want. Rover is really the only one that is really focusing its entire lineup on a narrow base of customers that are not their traditional customers; leaving the rest of the market to the competition without even trying, and leaving their base clamoring for what they built 20-30 years ago.

rlynch356

actually.. its the Jeep owners who buy all the upfit gear and never take them off road that would buy the defender. These people are the top of the jeep market.

For the middle of the market they would still buy a jeep, BC of the price point and its 'merican

The true off roaders will still buy jeeps, used.

If toyota brings the HiLux here, as far as capability goes, it crushes everything else in the market. From light Pickups to jeeps.

The new defender has every box checked to be a lifestyle CUV. basically its a discovery sport in angular metal.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I know a guy importing from Japan. RHD, but they are a much better value than Defenders.

BarryO

Fixed it for ya: ;)
I'm pretty sure Jeep and the Wrangler customers couldn't care less.

It sounds like FCA understands the Wrangler market segment very well:
Additionally, FCA claims that the Wrangler was designed to "deliver superior performance and unique driving experiences under the most demanding conditions" and that "testing protocols that apply exclusively to urban scenarios may not align with such a vehicle."

But yea, the market segment that cares about this buys Volvos.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Unfortunately automobiles have become smarter than the people operating them

Ain't that the truth. Reading Owners manuals has also become a thing of the past, so people post on forums. God forbid you want a workshop manual....

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
...I had to tell my mother-in-law that the idea was NOT to use the lane correction functions, or automatic emergency braking...

AdamSanta85

There is a guy on DSource claiming a LR Exec told him the new Defender is going to be a modernized classic Defender and they are just messing with us with the spy truck.

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
And I heard, through a very highly placed and respected medium that it isn’t. I confirmed it on my Ouiji Board last night. And it was positive— didn’t even hesitate going toward Yes—just went straight to No when I asked if it was going to be cool or offered in Arles Blue. Now not sure who to believe...

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
There is a guy on DSource claiming a LR Exec told him the new Defender is going to be a modernized classic Defender and they are just messing with us with the spy truck.

That's funny, I've been dreaming that they are just trolling us. Gerry Mcgovern is going to fuck us though.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
It’s too bad they aren’t this creative. Make the vehicle we’ve seen into the Disco, build an actual Defender.

...the new Defender project isn’t code named Operation Bodyguard, by any chance, is it?