Discovery 200tdi into Defender

donb

So I freaked myself out a little last night. The other day doing a the T-seals I found torque specs from a factory manual page. It said BEARING CAP TO CYLINDER BLOCK: 130-136NM. I thought I had it saved to my phone but couldn't find it when doing the oil sump pan. Found another link that said BIG END BEARINGS 30NM stage 1; 60NM Stage 2. I thought I was going to have to pull everything apart but found the pics of the factory manual.

Here is what I think are the incorrect torque specs in case someone searches and finds it: https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/engine-torque-settings-12022-c.asp

I've attached pictures of the manual torque specs.

Attachments

• torque_specs_1.JPG
    torque_specs_1.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 1,145
  • torque_specs_2.JPG
    torque_specs_2.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,182

Red90

One thing that is wrong on the link. You are supposed to use new nuts for the big ends.

Land Rover uses the term "Big End Bearing" in the manual. I hope you are using the manual as there are a variety of little detail bits that should be followed.

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Then what are the "Big end bearings"?

The connecting rod has 2 ends, the small end that attaches to the piston and the "BIG END" that attaches to the crankshaft.
So big end bearings are installed between the crankshaft and the big end of the connecting rod.

Sent from my keyboard with 2 finger typing using fat fingers.

donb

The connecting rod has 2 ends, the small end that attaches to the piston and the "BIG END" that attaches to the crankshaft.
So big end bearings are installed between the crankshaft and the big end of the connecting rod.

Sent from my keyboard with 2 finger typing using fat fingers.

Thanks guys - I feel like a dope as it seems so straight forward after the explanation of it.

In other news I got the flywheel cover, flywheel, clutch installed. Then I replaced the tranny bushings with the Glencoyne and installed the engine. I still have a lot to do but felt getting the engine is nice hurdle to get over.

donb

ca6d796ebbc96fd37d76efab5411c0a3.jpg
e2f1fe4a464f0a8359f0324ba54e3640.jpg
5dc030c493629087f28ac260dff8b6fd.jpg

Got some items done last night.

Had to swap fuel line to the RH side so got some 5/16? hose from Napa. On the top side I followed Matt/Napalm?s writeup on using AN lines. I?m pretty happy with how they came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donb

6128f9832049bd721e19cabc78294be8.jpg

Oil filter housing with a 90 elbow so I can run an VDO oil pressure sender that I have setup already in the cabin. Just waiting for oil cooler lines and new radiator from RN.

donb

755e573bf9181e810b4d7ef9c22e0ecc.jpg

Glencoyne engine mount on the RH side.

0fc8a38a82644fef11a8797bfe34723c.jpg

Turbo compressor outlet is a tight fit. I cut down a 2? silicone elbow I had. It?s close to the steering shaft but clears. Piping for this to the IC is going to be a bear.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
The threaded line adapter to the IP is so much easier better than the hardpipe adapter thst i used.
Can you share or update the other thread with your info ?

Looks.great

donb

The threaded line adapter to the IP is so much easier better than the hardpipe adapter thst i used.
Can you share or update the other thread with your info ?

Looks.great

Thanks I?ll update your other thread when I get a chance. I was going to weld a bung on to the banjo fitting but I ordered some parts and tried them and they worked well.

donb

For some reason this engine had the temp sender missing. I couldn?t figure out what size thread here was. I found a bolt in the stash that fit. Cut it down drilled thru it and tapped for 1/8-27 NPT. Summit has a VDO sender in that size so hoping I can get it before Wednesday.

3379459e58a0ae3c447c813a8fa51d7b.jpg

donb

51f911e35076e8f83df6564652c9c471.jpg

3240ca5d865bb0bc65d507de85187865.jpg

New timing belt and pulleys installed yesterday. I forgot to order the housing cover seal so I?ll see if Zack @ RN can get one for me.

donb

30cca2cdb9e3441b406af0057cdb09c1.jpg

86d2d8975a83fd6f659d3e03bb9484a4.jpg

I bought those copper nuts for the M10 studs and it was brutal just to get one on. Hard to get a wrench on those nuts with a lot of stuff missing so I decided to use Allen headed bolts with lock washers.

I started the downpipe. I ordered a stainless 3 bolt flange and used a 2.25? to 2.5? stainless adapter as I?m running 2.5? exhaust. The tricky part is getting around the engine mount and drain pipe for the turbo but once that?s done it should be straight forward underneath.

1of40

The downpipe was a bear. I ended up taking it to a dude that does a lot of resto-mod work.