RRC paint thoughts

110user

I picked up a beautiful beluga black 1993 RRC LWB a while back. It is a 2 owner truck with 140k on the clock. The interior is immaculate and literally everything works.

I've been using it as my daily, but the paint has lost the clear coat on the hood and roof. I've been toying with the idea of a color change. Its black so much easier to hide the original paint similar to the early RRCs.

My question is , what color? I've been thinking of:

1-Keeping it black
2-Lincoln Green
3-Tuscon Blue
4-Bahama Gold (mustard yellow)
5-Arles Blue

Thoughts?

110user

I'm strongly considering just a respray in black but if a color change I'm not doing every square inch.

Have you seen early RRC's? I have an original red 1988 and only the body is red. All pillars and interior are black. Looks good.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
I hate seeing the engine bay a different color than the body. I did this on a vehicle a few years back and it really bothered me. Next time I will pull the motor before painting but that is just me.

110user

I completely understand. If it wasn't black, or an RRC, I wouldn't even dream of it.

This is all for me, not for resale. Part of my problem is that I dont like black cars. My red RRC is much much rougher, yet I still driving it more because I hate the black.

Coniston

My 1993 LWB is Beluga (with a shitty Maaco respray from 2 owners ago) and I've always hated the colour, but you take what you can get when you look for these things. I've been thinking Portofino Red when the restoration gets there (a while yet).

I'd keep the inner shell black, as it's in context with the earlier trucks that had black shells no matter the colour. Also as I have to do a lot of welding work, it makes it easier to paint over it as I go in black to protect the repairs.

If you do that way then I think you could just unbolt all the body panels and possibly take a pile of them to a paint shop instead of an entire truck? Since even the roof unbolts on an RRC.

Of course, on a 93 LWB, the body keyed wheels are key. :D

modernbeat

For a partial color change, black is the easiest to do that with. Engine compartment and inner body being black while the body and jambs are some other color at least looks good, even if purists turn their noses up.

As far as colors, Mallard Blue or Valencia Blue is one of my favorites, and is a little richer than the Arles Blue you listed. Eastnor Green would be next (what I have on my RRC). I think color should be selected based on what you want the truck to portray, as an RRC can be vintage, modern, tough, refined, etc... And color can drive that.

110user

I love portofino red. My other RRC is that color.
I'm not going to disassemble. I have too many projects to start another one!!!

I'm always in to the vintage look. I love all the blues but worry I'd get tired of it.

Kevin88RRC

For a partial color change, black is the easiest to do that with. Engine compartment and inner body being black while the body and jambs are some other color at least looks good, even if purists turn their noses up.

It looks good and that's how the earlier classics are. Not sure when they started painting everything. I was surprised years ago when I ordered some used body parts & they were painted green.

110user

Its odd, because early 2-door RRC's are all one color. But mid year models with door hinges on the outside, seem to have black pillars and interior.

I like the black pillars.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete

As far as colors, Mallard Blue or Valencia Blue is one of my favorites, and is a little richer than the Arles Blue you listed. Eastnor Green would be next (what I have on my RRC). I think color should be selected based on what you want the truck to portray, as an RRC can be vintage, modern, tough, refined, etc... And color can drive that.

Have any shots of mallard blue? Google wasnt my friend when I tried.
Have my personal 110 @ the bare metal stage and was leaning toward arles...

110user

Arles blue on a defender is hard to beat IMO.
I think pastel green on defenders is also amazing.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Arles blue on a defender is hard to beat IMO.
I think pastel green on defenders is also amazing.

I know Steve. Want to see this elusive Mallard Blue color to see if I'm missing something, havent painted it yet and am at that point.

Found a 1974 Leyland color called Green Mallard but no blues

modernbeat

It's a Triumph color. Searching "Triumph Mallard Blue" turned up a number of cars, so you can see the variation.

rare-fully-restored-mallard-green-tr6-beautiful-low-mileage-car-1.JPG

I think Arles looks fine for a Defender, where you want it to look like the implement it is. But for a RRC, I'd prefer a more sophisticated color. Sounds odd saying that knowing the Defender will cost 3x+ what a RRC does.

blueboy

Mosswood Green would be my choice.

It would look good with the black as well.

Almost pulled the trigger when the Rangie was repainted, yet, stayed with the original Alpine White which was probably the color most RRCs were in the US.

However, as many have rusted away don't see it at every corner.

BuyRovers

Arles Blue works pretty well to me

Attachments

• 00F897CB-807A-47DD-A86A-6425027624F1.jpg
    00F897CB-807A-47DD-A86A-6425027624F1.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 275
  • C9D68071-6966-4D66-8FAA-3C81A1EA0960.jpg
    C9D68071-6966-4D66-8FAA-3C81A1EA0960.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 258

modernbeat

Not including very much repair, disassembly, and other labor not directly related to the actual surface prep and paint, $3500-$7000 or so.