Maybe moving to Maryland..

AdamSanta85

Got a job offer I am seriously considering. Office is very close to BWI airport in Maryland. Anyone have any towns they would recommend? Not interested in living in the city at all. Would like to be near the Bay or in a rural suburban area near parks and what not. Don't have kids yet but good schools are a plus for when we do.

We were looking on Zillow at like Annapolis, Severna Park, Severn, Ellicott City, but really just throwing darts at the map... I have heard good things about Annapolis but it might be a little far for commuting, guess that depends on traffic. Ideal commute would be <= 30 mins. Would likely rent before buying again just in case we aren't happy. House prices look like they are equal or more then Long Island but the property taxes are less at least...

Being far from the ocean is what might kill this. Not being able to surf is a big deal to me.

-----------

Sorry just realized this is the classifieds area, thought it was off topic, mod please move to appropriate section

DiscoDavis

Drivers there are buttholes. Especially during commute hours. This applies to the capitol corridor area as a whole but that part of Maryland... ooof.

Lived in NoVa, I recall the DC area being almost exactly like the intro from House of Cards, that sort of odd grey regal vibe, but in a cool way. Annapolis also cool, had a small presentation there once when I was finishing my degree, that place makes one think you're in a Clancy movie. Briefly spent time on Maryland side of DC, I recall the rural areas nearby being very picturesque and the people pleasant (aside from commuters). If it matters to you gun laws were/are? draconian compared to VA. The areas around the Chesapeake (IE close to the water) I loved.

Traffic was hellacious in that whole area as everyone knows, has it gotten worse since 2015? (my guess is yes.)

Not sure if that helps

Tarheeld

Annapolis. Keep your NY plates. I got fined 2000 for insurance lapse on my lawn ornament. Said hell with it all and moved to NOLA :)

AdamSanta85

I'm getting 28 minutes from Annapolis to BWI. If that is the case, that is good enough by me. My current commute to my office is nearly 2 hours. 10 minute drive, 1 hour 20 min train on a good day, and a 10 minute walk.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Got a job offer I am seriously considering. Office is very close to BWI airport in Maryland. Anyone have any towns they would recommend? Not interested in living in the city at all. Would like to be near the Bay or in a rural suburban area near parks and what not. Don't have kids yet but good schools are a plus for when we do.

We were looking on Zillow at like Annapolis, Severna Park, Severn, Ellicott City, but really just throwing darts at the map... I have heard good things about Annapolis but it might be a little far for commuting, guess that depends on traffic. Ideal commute would be <= 30 mins. Would likely rent before buying again just in case we aren't happy. House prices look like they are equal or more then Long Island but the property taxes are less at least...

Being far from the ocean is what might kill this. Not being able to surf is a big deal to me.

My place was on both side of a quite cove. ie view shed wasn't someones else's house. One side was Arnold the other Severna Park.

Oddly, for most of the time I lived there. I worked in Manhattan for Chase Manhattan or AIG.

FlyersFan76

Drivers there are buttholes. Especially during commute hours. This applies to the capitol corridor area as a whole but that part of Maryland... ooof.

Lived in NoVa, I recall the DC area being almost exactly like the intro from House of Cards, that sort of odd grey regal vibe, but in a cool way. Annapolis also cool, had a small presentation there once when I was finishing my degree, that place makes one think you're in a Clancy movie. Briefly spent time on Maryland side of DC, I recall the rural areas nearby being very picturesque and the people pleasant (aside from commuters). If it matters to you gun laws were/are? draconian compared to VA. The areas around the Chesapeake (IE close to the water) I loved.

Traffic was hellacious in that whole area as everyone knows, has it gotten worse since 2015? (my guess is yes.)

Not sure if that helps

Actually I heard it was dehydrated buttholes. Any amount of precipitation they turn to full blown buttholes.

AdamSanta85

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think the Annapolis/Severna Park area should work. I just used Google maps, with current traffic its 24 mins. We are going to visit pretty soon.

FlyersFan76

A buddy of mine in College grew up in Severna park and said it was great. A business associate also lives there. I have never been but if I were moving to the area and didn't want to go as far south as Annapolis that is where I would start looking also.

Be prepared the convenience stores in Maryland are much better than out on the island.

1of40

Annapolis is nice and rich with history and tradition but you'll only get what you pay for.

NPT90

I am in Annapolis and I love it. Lots of dining, lots of boating, not a lot of commuters in the downtown area. Feel free to PM me and I will give you a land based tour or answer some of the real questions you may have...

I was seeing a girl in Serverna Park area and she said I was about 20 minutes from her, BWI is at most a 40 minute drive. Traffic outbound from downtown is minimal as the majority of year round residents in downtown Annapolis are retired or work here or don't work at all. I work from home and its a great place to take the dog for a walk, not a great place to find a driveway to drop your oil pan... but I digress...

AdamSanta85

I am in Annapolis and I love it. Lots of dining, lots of boating, not a lot of commuters in the downtown area. Feel free to PM me and I will give you a land based tour or answer some of the real questions you may have...

I was seeing a girl in Serverna Park area and she said I was about 20 minutes from her, BWI is at most a 40 minute drive. Traffic outbound from downtown is minimal as the majority of year round residents in downtown Annapolis are retired or work here or don't work at all. I work from home and its a great place to take the dog for a walk, not a great place to find a driveway to drop your oil pan... but I digress...

I would love to take you up on that offer. We are discussing taking the trip early June.

NPT90

side note: Anyone else get depressed when they see their post count on NAS/ROW vs D90 :(

mitherial

Having lived for three years in Annapolis, I will second all of the recommendations (assuming that you can stand Maryland politics), though the whole area is quite pricey depending on where you are coming from. If you are within the city, be sure to check for proximity to Section 8 housing -- but you are probably better off out in the suburbs anyway. Severna Park should be fine too, though not as historic. Do not go to the far side of the Bay Bridge, no matter how cheap the prices look and be aware that rush-hour will substantially increase your commute both on the main roads and back roads.

I never really connected up with the Land Rover clubs during my time there (now almost 10 years ago) but that was back during my LR3 days. The Annapolis LR dealership always treated me well, so long as I didn't look at the price tag.