If you were to sell your truck...

AdamSanta85

LR3's seem to be holding firmer pricing now, 10.5K for 160K miles seems rich.

I think word got out that they are actually good trucks.

Yea. I was looking, I can get a 2011/12 85k-ish mile HSE LR4 for around $20k. I might just do that instead, although no car payment would be sweet if I bought one of the cheaper LR3.

I also see some dealers also trying to get mid 60's still for newish LR4's. You can get a brand new leftover 17' Disco 5 HSE for less than 60. I was out in the Hamptons the other day, tons of LR4's, not one Disco 5. I don't think that crowd is a fan of it.

Random LR4 samples that seem like maybe a better deal than LR3.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...keCode1=ROV&modelCode1=LR4&digitalRetail=true

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...V&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=ROV&modelCode1=LR4

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...V&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=ROV&modelCode1=LR4

WreckITFrank

Technical Excellence Contributor
That seems like a better deal than some of the others. In 2016 I sold my mint 2006 w/ 90K miles for $10K. It was an SE, loaded without some of the trim, but with HD, Cold Climate package, HID, 4.4 V8, NAV/Stereo upgrade, Air Suspension, and a few other things.

Now for my unsolicited advice/fun facts about my LR3 experience...
I think post 2010 made some good changes if I recall. Some things to point out with higher mileage. Others may agree or disagree, but from my personal experience.

-Assume you need to do control arm bushings around 25K intervals. I think I had 3 sets on mine done. Some were using RR arms, which were supposed to be better, but cant say. Also, mine used to eat tires, so I bought an alignment package from local shop that gave me 3 alignments a year. It paid off even if it didnt totally need it.

-Air compressor had a few variants, and would go. There are some serviceable items, but in the end most early LR3's had to upgrade to newer style for longevity.

-Air springs should be considered to be replaced around 100K if not before (or converted to coil). Mine were pretty close to needing swapped, and 1 was fixed under warranty prior.

-Washer bottle, rear liftgate latch, break pedal sensor, and hood pop sensor will likely all fail at some point. I did a mod to manually have a lift gate cable to pop it after I was burned. Also the hood latch sensor seems like no big deal, but it sets factory alarm off all hours of the night at random.

-best $500 you can spend on any current model LR is for the IID tool. I paid for after warranty computer upgrade only once, then that tool did the rest. Plus turned body options on/off, upgraded bluetooth, and manipulated air suspension. It's the bees knees.

Thanks for the discussion, it's making me miss mine!I loved it, and it had endless room and you could buy anythign you want for it. I needed something with better mileage for work travel, which is why I moved on.

AdamSanta85

That seems like a better deal than some of the others. In 2016 I sold my mint 2006 w/ 90K miles for $10K. It was an SE, loaded without some of the trim, but with HD, Cold Climate package, HID, 4.4 V8, NAV/Stereo upgrade, Air Suspension, and a few other things.

I think post 2010 made some good changes if I recall. Some things to point out with higher mileage. Others may agree or disagree, but from my personal experience.

-Assume you need to do control arm bushings around 25K intervals. I think I had 3 sets on mine done. Some were using RR arms, which were supposed to be better, but cant say. Also, mine used to eat tires, so I bought an alignment package from local shop that gave me 3 alignments a year. It paid off even if it didnt totally need it.

-Air compressor had a few variants, and would go. There are some serviceable items, but in the end most early LR3's had to upgrade to newer style for longevity.

-Air springs should be considered to be replaced around 100K if not before (or converted to coil). Mine were pretty close to needing swapped, and 1 was fixed under warranty prior.

-Washer bottle, rear liftgate latch, break pedal sensor, and hood pop sensor will likely all fail at some point. I did a mod to manually have a lift gate cable to pop it after I was burned. Also the hood latch sensor seems like no big deal, but it sets factory alarm off all hours of the night at random.

-best $500 you can spend on any current model LR is for the IID tool. I paid for after warranty computer upgrade only once, then that tool did the rest. Plus turned body options on/off, upgraded bluetooth, and manipulated air suspension. It's the bees knees.

Thanks for the discussion, it's making me miss mine!I loved it, and it had endless room and you could buy anythign you want for it. I needed something with better mileage for work travel, which is why I moved on.

Oh lerd. At least I am handy and can do all the work myself. In the 140k I have had my Xterra I had 1 cam sensor fail ($65 at NAPA in stock) and I have done brakes and changed the fluids...

LazyRabbit

Originally Posted by WK2Burner View Post

Oh lerd. At least I am handy and can do all the work myself. In the 140k I have had my Xterra I had 1 cam sensor fail ($65 at NAPA in stock) and I have done brakes and changed the fluids...

In the 125,000 miles that I have on my 212,000 mile 4Runner. I have just replaced a set valve cover gaskets, o2 sensor, and warped rotors (my fault) besides regular MX consumables.

1of40

Local indie shop that only works on Land Rovers. The LR3/4's, Sports and L322's keeps his days filled to capacity. Most of the repairs, in his opinion, is due to drivers that don't pay attention, ignore signs and don't keep up with the to-do list. The 4.4's are good engines but they have their share of problems and the trans/diffs tend to shit the bed when fluids are not maintained early and often.

We have '16 SCV6 and I can tell it's going to be a vehicle we need to keep our eyes and ears on. Our last family vehicle was a saint; 278K miles on nothing but fluids/filters/tires/brakes.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
If only Land Rover had done a joint venture with GM to power their NAS vehicles. Imagine a world where everyone touted the trouble free longevity and ease of maintenance of their RRC, DI, and DII.

Red90

If only Land Rover had done a joint venture with GM to power their NAS vehicles. Imagine a world where everyone touted the trouble free longevity and ease of maintenance of their RRC, DI, and DII.

Yes, because a 1990s GM engine is completely reliable... :rolleyes:

Red90

And I owned a Disco V8 with 400000 km that never had any problems..... Go out and see how many 20+ year old GM trucks have original, untouched engines that run with no problems. It won't be many and won't be any different than Land Rover. They both used junk V8s designed in the 50s that were not intended for long lives.

1of40

And I owned a Disco V8 with 400000 km that never had any problems..... Go out and see how many 20+ year old GM trucks have original, untouched engines that run with no problems. It won't be many and won't be any different than Land Rover. They both used junk V8s designed in the 50s that were not intended for long lives.

I think the point is the ease and availability of parts. I know I?m growing concerned about my ecu in my 21 yo daily driven 90 with 170K trouble-free miles thus far.

AdamSanta85

Think I have made up my mind that the truck is going up for sale. I just need to get some professional photos taken of it before listing. If anyone knows someone that is looking for a very clean low mile tastefully modded LHD D90 SW feel free to reach out.

Jeff B

Think I have made up my mind that the truck is going up for sale. I just need to get some professional photos taken of it before listing. If anyone knows someone that is looking for a very clean low mile tastefully modded LHD D90 SW feel free to reach out.

Ballpark $ ?

Sorry to see you sell it....have you decided on a replacement?

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
One day I will get a Defender again.

The day after I sold my NAS truck I got physically ill. It?s not like selling a boat or a plane where you are celebrating the end of bleeding money. If you can?t swing both be prepared for severe mental anguish at best.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
If you sell one, you should have another something already waiting. The only reason I was OK with selling my 110 was that I had a total piece of work series waiting to be shipped to me. Now I have a total piece of work series sitting at Briggs's house that I slowly pretend to put back together. To an outside observer it may look like I just go over there to drink coffee and talk about life.

Otherwise you'll have money to burn and a burning desire. Not a good combination. Just make sure whatever you buy next you buy because it's right, not because there is a hole in your heart.

blueboy

"If you sell one, you should have another something already waiting."

Very good advice and one that I adhered to as well. It makes the transition from one to another better.

Each Rover I've owned in the past / currently has had its + and - yet they all are Rovers and fun in their own way.

xplorutah

Hahaha, I haven't even sold mine and have its replacement already bought! Just need to get it here. Wanted a different driving experience and will be keeping the Series.

Attachments

• 0335157060002.jpg
    0335157060002.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 187