If you were to sell your truck...

donb

Where I live and where Jason lives is very different. Via 200TDI Defender to VT I am looking at at least 6 hours on the interstate to get to anywhere to wheel the truck. Rouch Creek in PA would be the closest and that is 3.5+ hours depending on traffic.

I am not into the trailer thing, especially with a truck that isn't a "trail rig". I did it with my "race car" to Englishtown and is why I sold it. It's over $100 in just tolls getting on and off the island with a trailer before factoring in fuel etc. Shelling out hundreds in fuel and tolls every time I want to go somewhere fun isn't my idea of adventure, it spoils it. I just want to fill the tank, throw my board on the roof, pack the cooler and go.

Yikes - those tolls are a tough nut to swallow!

I used to drive my NAS 90 all over when I had it. With the 110 being in a project state most of the time I trailered it to VT for VOR last fall. I can certainly see both sides of the coin. I am working towards having the 110 being driven to events that are closer by.

Do you think the 200tdi just cannot push the 90 along fast enough? My NAS 90 could keep up with traffic well enough. Long rides would certainly beat me up as it was soft top but I could make it thru it. Actually some of my most memorable drives were in the 90 going to and home from events.

I'm surprised it's lack of speed is the issue and not having to shift gears. Every time I've been out to LI it's been a full on traffic jam. And I feel like everyone drove slowly in the left lane when things were actually moving.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
Part of your problem is thinking you need to go with traffic. Relax. I commuted in the UK in and out of Cambridge with a 200tdi 90 van for 4 years. Best Rover I ever had and have regretted selling it. It was my wedding car and had many adventures driving it with my wife all over the UK from Devon to Scottish highlands. The only solace is that I sold it to a great friend who still has it now on the east coast.

Obviously it is immaculate but realize you can always repair any damage incurred on the trails so it does not matter what happens to it. That's the nice thing about these trucks. Mangle a panel and replace it. Or don't and get those looks from the gawkers that make their spouses jelly... man or woman, doesn't matter, you're driving a Defender and they either want to be you or be with you. You are the hero, not the zero.

Or you can sell it and buy an LR3...

Jeff B

. I just want to fill the tank, throw my board on the roof, pack the cooler and go.

yeah, there is something to be said for that....

I've never towed any of my trucks either.
Four to six hours is about my limit.
That gets me to Uwharrie NC or middle PA.:)

rlynch356

One last idea... store it in raleigh or Charlotte and just fly down to use, it?ll be cheaper and take less time than driving when you factor in gas, tolls and time.

Uwharrie is open April-dec

Done..

AdamSanta85

Tomato tomatoe

ybOp8fp.jpg

cImeJqB.jpg

1of40

A nicely dialed-in LS RHD late model TD5 110 is what I fantasize about sometimes. It would allow me to go farther, sufficient comfort/power and a classic yet unique look I really like too. My NAS90 has served well and I like my ROW 110 but their limits are extended hwy travel.

Noyac40

One last idea... store it in raleigh or Charlotte and just fly down to use, it?ll be cheaper and take less time than driving when you factor in gas, tolls and time.

Uwharrie is open April-dec

Done..

Good idea, I was just thinking about that the other day. A while back my father-in-law offered us family property in NC and I considered building a structure for cars. It does put you closer to more of the events.

xplorutah

Where I live and where Jason lives is very different. Via 200TDI Defender to VT I am looking at at least 6 hours on the interstate to get to anywhere to wheel the truck. Rouch Creek in PA would be the closest and that is 3.5+ hours depending on traffic.

I am not into the trailer thing, especially with a truck that isn't a "trail rig". I did it with my "race car" to Englishtown and is why I sold it. It's over $100 in just tolls getting on and off the island with a trailer before factoring in fuel etc. Shelling out hundreds in fuel and tolls every time I want to go somewhere fun isn't my idea of adventure, it spoils it. I just want to fill the tank, throw my board on the roof, pack the cooler and go.

Adam,
I live in Utah. You would think "wheeling" is right outside my door...it isn't. Sure I can get up in the mountains in a matter of 30 minutes and there are a few trails going up into the Uinta's that are bouncy. Or I can get up there about now and encounter snow and/or mud on forest roads. The west desert also has some bouncy areas too. Overall, Moab is a few hours away, 5 Mile Pass is probably a couple for me (and that is where the Toyo "lets see what I can break" guys go to tear the crap out of their truck), and so is any other serious "wheeling". Not sure there is a great answer to your conundrum. The biggest issue for me isn't speed, or the time it takes, its that the ergo and short wheelbase ride quality in these that sucks. Maybe a 110 would make you happier, I know mine did from a comfort standpoint, but that one sold a couple years ago.

As I read this thread, it sounds like you have made up your mind. I don't blame you, as you get older and your bones ache, (like me - and I never thought I would say this) comfort and convenience matters.
Good luck with your decision.

donb

Tomato tomatoe

Your 90 SW is damn sharp! I'd ditch the Boost and replace with silver Wolfs/NATO wheels tho :D

How many times have you had your 90 off road? IMO, lo-range and on a double blue/mellow black trail is where a slightly modded Defender and it's owner really come together.

AdamSanta85

Sick

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lSwVIPUtmDw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AdamSanta85

What do you think? Price seems fair and it has the rear locker and better sound system and side moldings. Deal breaker if that horrible dash kit won't come off. I kinda wanted black interior, but the tan isn't bad.

Change the wheels to the OEM 18" wheels and KO2's + Front runner rack and ladder

Is there anyway I can look up the service history? SALAG25446A383296

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/SALAG25446A383296

https://www.ecautogroup.com/2006-La...eld-Edison-Union-County/used_car/qWygYSqdLtk=

3631_1201471_11192152_7534005532018_90.jpg

1of40

I would take the vin into your local dealer and see if they can give you a full service history and a PPi. Well worth $87.

Bostondave

I don’t have anything specific to offer on that truck, but I think the tan interior is better across the board on both the 3 and 4.