CV Joint?

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
It's the only thing I can think of, but I hardly have a real answer.

Twice now I've noticed, while rolling to a stop, no brakes, no gas, just coasting, that there is a slight knock heard. It is at wheel speed. Slows as the car slows.

Then, a few seconds after I stop, the ABS light comes on.

1998 Disco I

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
LOL, yeah.

And I think it's only happened twice. Happens in straight line. No feeling to it, just a rolling knock.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
I I doubt it's the CV they don't usually knock thump or make any other sort of low noise. They do click when turning when going bad.

If you're also getting an ABS fault and you're getting a clunking or not I'd suspect something to do with the brakes. Check and make sure all four brake calipers are solidly mounted with a pry bar check the brake backing plates and check the ABS sensors

Jeff B

If you're also getting an ABS fault and you're getting a clunking or not I'd suspect something to do with the brakes. Check and make sure all four brake calipers are solidly mounted with a pry bar check the brake backing plates and check the ABS sensors

I got a knocking sound when stopping with my first RRC years ago.

Turns out the dealer had worked on it before I bought and left a front caliper bolt loose.
It fell out, and the caliper would swing up and knock the wheel when I put the brakes on.
I drove a few blocks back to where I first heard the noise and after about 10 minutes I found a big caliper bolt laying in the street... true story

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Others have replied that I should check the wheel bearings? Any thoughts on that?

Jeff B

Others have replied that I should check the wheel bearings? Any thoughts on that?

Yep...jack it up...grab the tire at 3 & 9 'oclock and try to wiggle in/out.
Then do it at 12 & 6 'oclock.

I have also discovered 5 loose lug nuts this way.... don't know who the idiot was that did that...(might've been me...:rolleyes:)

Red90

You don't need to jack it up. Just walk up and grab the top of the wheel and apply some force. You will hear and feel if the bearing is loose. Should be part of a standard daily check on off road trips.