If you were to sell your truck...

WreckITFrank

Technical Excellence Contributor
There are Guys that do it but it depends on what else you have to do.

agreed, the dealer did mine about 3 times in the course of about 70k miles under warranty. i did them last myself with some help from a buddy. i believe I got the "upgraded" RR arms from somewhere. Most guys burn them out, then press poly's in. I think Lucky sells OE arms w/ polybush already in them, or once did. Hopefully you dont need to deal with it, yet.

I miss my LR3, never had that much room in a vehicle since back the old man used to toss us in the back of the caprice wagon, with wood paneling of course.

AdamSanta85

$16k just sounds high to me... I was trying to keep my budget at $12k. I see messy trucks going for $6-$9k, figured $12 should get me a nice one.

I am having a conversation with this guy later, only 30 min from home, truck is supposedly mint, letting him know he can keep the 20's and clear side repeaters (hopefully he has the 18's still)... If the service history is all there and I can get him down some this could work. My must haves are HID headlights, ideally the upgraded sound system, V8, no wood trim in interior. Ideally white, maybe green or grey. Prefer black interior but the tan is cool too.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/mint-land-rover-lr3-for-sale/6641362280.html

AdamSanta85

Ok found another nice white one local, SE, V8, HID, tan interior, 100k asking 13k. Supposedly maintained at Land Rover. Checking it out in person later this evening.

Original suspension, said he just started getting the C1A20 "Slow inflation" code which probably means it needs a new compressor...

SALAE254X8A490801

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Ok found another nice white one local, SE, V8, HID, tan interior, 100k asking 13k. Supposedly maintained at Land Rover. Checking it out in person later this evening.

Original suspension, said he just started getting the C1A20 "Slow inflation" code which probably means it needs a new compressor...

SALAE254X8A490801

Or leaky air suspension bags

Roverman2010

SALAE254X8A490801

Mine had that two years ago, changed out the filter and spring kit/relay

AdamSanta85

So went and saw the truck tonight. Really clean except for this dent by the roof that he didn't mention till I got there. One tiny crack in the dash barely noticeable. Truck needed brakes but owner had all 4 pads and rotors to give me with it. Suspension wasn't functional, heard compressor turn on, but saw no movement. Drove well. Transfer case engaged low fine, all drive modes seemed to work, ebrake turned on and off. Fuel tank guard and underbody had some surface rust but looked OK. Sunroof opened fine but wouldn't close without being "reset" (had to hold the button down for 20 seconds. Had all weather mats, floors carpet was dry. I am thinking about making him an offer but much lower than the $13k he was asking. Has 103k miles on it.

I assume it needs suspension $450-$1200
Brakes - my labor time (light was on dash)
Sometime soon control arm bushings as he didn't know when they were done
Unknown if/when tranny service was done
Tire pressure light was own, he claimed he never had the new wheel sensors calibrated.

I want to call the Land Rover dealer to see if they can tell me what services have been performed.

KBB says trade in value is $5500 or $8700 private party...

This was my first time driving an LR3. The trucks themselves I love. Should be a good fit for my use.

Photo of dent
QeBJbos.jpg

cqnB2Of.jpg

pfKnyXL.jpg

fuYPsiW.jpg

1of40

Owners/Sellers bold enough to not mention glaringly obvious problems like that until you come out to look at it are big red flags I don’t look past. A higher mileage truck from a knowledgeable, honest owner is worth more to me than the opposite.

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
I would pass. I agree—an Owner leaving out THAT is leaving out other stuff. Maybe $8k or bail.

AdamSanta85

Maybe $8k or bail.

That's about where I was thinking if I was going to make an offer. I'm not going to let the emotion of him hiding something like that get in the way of a business deal, however he burned all good will immediately, and put me in "business" aka chew down mode.

Install brake parts
$1200-1500 Dent (spot welding, pull, painting)
$1427 air suspension (compressor + shocks) or $1173 shipped for coil conversion
$275 sunroof control module
$385 tranny + $175 transfer case/diffs + plugs etc + $400 labor (book time is $475) (can't do myself, need lift) = $960 necessary services
$600 control arm kit + alignment
Fixing TPMS issue (hopefully with IID tool)
------------------------------

Still need to buy $500 Gap IID tool to reset/test modules etc to accomplish these repairs myself to save labor

And that is assuming nothing else is wrong... catalytic convertors, engine, tranny, 02 sensors, battery etc (because Land Rover...)

I would like to see if I can get a Land Rover dealer to give me the service history, but I've never done business with any before so not too optimistic.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Based only on fixing a similar but milder dent on my wife's car (thank you son), I'd say close to $2k to fix the roof dent. They are going to have to disable and remove the interior including air bags before they can pull the dent.

AdamSanta85

Buyer balked, wouldn't go below $11k. I told him thanks but no thanks.

------------------------------------------

Moving on... have this one in my sights now. Looks clean, owner states its mint, no lights, no issues, was his sons truck that he ditched for an S5. Seller immediately pulled the "Do you know what Rumson NJ is" card (Like I care? Are you buying me a house?). I imagine he has been getting driven nuts by Craigslist scammers/dealers. Miles are high but if I can get a service history on it, maybe could work. I like the black interior and lack of 'dubs'

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-land-rover-lr3-se7/6656325750.html

donb

Buyer balked, wouldn't go below $11k. I told him thanks but no thanks.

------------------------------------------

Moving on... have this one in my sights now. Looks clean, owner states its mint, no lights, no issues, was his sons truck that he ditched for an S5. Seller immediately pulled the "Do you know what Rumson NJ is" card (Like I care? Are you buying me a house?). I imagine he has been getting driven nuts by Craigslist scammers/dealers. Miles are high but if I can get a service history on it, maybe could work. I like the black interior and lack of 'dubs'

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-land-rover-lr3-se7/6656325750.html

I'm right down the street from that neighborhood. Let me know if you need a hand. I wonder if this is the same guy that has sold a few Disco's that I've remember seeing on links on D-Source. If so he shouldn't be surprised by the Craigslist replies.

Funny about the Rumson card. Did he really say that when you talked to him? I would tell him I heard parts of Rumson got flooded pretty badly during storm Sandy and ask if there was any water or rust issues from being so close to the ocean.