Solar Generator (DIY Goal Zero Yeti)

Red90

You don't need a fancy generator. Any old cheap thing will do. A couple hundred for a used one, then a few hundred more for the electrical to wire it in properly. A manual transfer switch and a small sub panel. Running a house fridge from a solar system will be an expensive solar system. You need a lot of batteries and big inverter and then a lot of panels, if you need to recharge during the outage. You need to understand the loads and sizing.

FlyersFan76

You don't need a fancy generator. Any old cheap thing will do. A couple hundred for a used one, then a few hundred more for the electrical to wire it in properly. A manual transfer switch and a small sub panel. Running a house fridge from a solar system will be an expensive solar system. You need a lot of batteries and big inverter and then a lot of panels, if you need to recharge during the outage. You need to understand the loads and sizing.

I was just more or less thinking of uses for this cool project.

Red90

Yes, and I'm trying to explain that it is not suitable for what you are proposing. You would need a system many times larger with an expensive inverter added on. You are probably needing to budget $3000 for a system to do what you want.

Going the generator route is $600 with a new generator and the switching panels if you install it yourself. You can then run the fridge, furnace and all the lights.

FlyersFan76

Yes, and I'm trying to explain that it is not suitable for what you are proposing. You would need a system many times larger with an expensive inverter added on. You are probably needing to budget $3000 for a system to do what you want.

Going the generator route is $600 with a new generator and the switching panels if you install it yourself. You can then run the fridge, furnace and all the lights.

https://youtu.be/9dlOwHo_pqA

The Dro

Illustrious
Here is a portable solar generating system I built last year. It was built to power an ARB 12v refrigerator and as a power station for base camping trips. In a nut shell it's a Goal Zero Yeti 1250 for less than a third of the cost.

Here is the breakdown. I purchased these three dustproof containers at Home Depot ($98 OTD special) I only used the bottom wheeled box which by itself was $60.

enhance

Next up was selecting the battery. I wanted something sealed so I went with a 70ah AMG battery from Auto Zone. I considered Optima but from my research the new ones lack quality and were WAY more expensive. The charge controller is a Morningstar 10amp model from Amazon ($56).

enhance

I went with Blue Sea for the fuse panel, master switch, 12v outlets and the USB outlet. Amazon had them but they were about 10% cheaper from a marine shop on EBay.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Here is the almost completed interior. I still need to cut some stiff foam to hold the battery in place.

enhance

The RENOGY 100 Watt 12v solar panel was purchased from Amazon for $150. I also bought with it a 25 foot cord and cut it in half so I could have a positive and negative 12" section with the correct connectors for the panel. On the box side I went with an easier to connect/disconnect plug type.

enhance

enhance

All the wiring is 10 gauge except for the wiring to the USB. Goal Zero wanted about $1600 for their unit plus a few hundred for the solar panel. I'm in it for less than $500 and am very happy with the final results. The rolling box weighs about 50 pounds and the panel weighs just a few pounds. I still need to make some folding legs for the panel and sew up a neoprene sleeve to store it in.

The experiment starts this morning and this should be a good test. Today's forecasted high...... 113F (45C) with an evening low of 85F (29C)

This turns out to be a great week to test things out. Record heat (114F) yesterday and hotter (115F) today. Here is the data thus far.
Battery started the test at 13.0v at 10:00a yesterday and the fridge set and pre-cooled to 32F.
07:00a this morning the battery was at 12.4v and the evening low was 82F
08:30a I lower the t-stat to 30F.

115F on the patio, the fridge is 27F degrees and the battery is 100% topped off. I'm calling this a successful project.
To the Top... HD has these again on sale for $98. Just got mine. :)