ROW parts cross over

Adam

I'm specifically looking for a front brake caliper for my 92 ROW 90, but I'm sure there are other parts that cross over from other Land Rover vehicles.

Any input in my immediate need, or a link to an article that outlines other crossover parts?

Red90

Well. Any front caliper from RRC and Disco 1 and Defenders all "fit" as long as they are for solid or vented rotors...

But... If you are buying new, you are best to get the latest version Defender ones. They use larger pistons than Discos and possibly what is on your 90 (it depends). If you are getting rotors at the same time, then you might as well switch to vented.

It more comes back to what you are planning to do. Lots of things crossover, but each item needs to be talked about to determine suitability. You also need to be careful on which brands you purchase. These are Meccano sets.

Adam

I have a set of new style (vented) rotors/calipers - but thought the conversion might be a bit more of an undertaking than just a simple caliper replacement in the short term - if I can get a disco solid caliper at autozone, then attack the larger project during the winter, that'd be preferable.

ac

Red90

If you have a set, put them on. There is nothing to "convert". It is all plug and play if they are Defender calipers.

Disco calipers will fit, but they require a change to the small hard line as the Disco piping is different and you end up with weaker brakes. Most people go the other way, putting Defender calipers on a Disco.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
I have a set of new style (vented) rotors/calipers - but thought the conversion might be a bit more of an undertaking than just a simple caliper replacement in the short term - if I can get a disco solid caliper at autozone, then attack the larger project during the winter, that'd be preferable.

ac

Its not a "larger" project. Changing rotors is exactly the same regardless if its vented or solid. Requires removing the hub so repacking the wheel bearings @ the same time is advisable. Caliper just bolts on in same holes and re-attach brake line. Should take less than an hour per side. If you already have vented rotors and the calipers with spacers (same caliper with a spacer in it to accomodate the wider vented rotor) I dont get why you are considering buying solid rotors instead of installing what you already have

Adam

Its not a "larger" project. Changing rotors is exactly the same regardless if its vented or solid. Requires removing the hub so repacking the wheel bearings @ the same time is advisable. Caliper just bolts on in same holes and re-attach brake line. Should take less than an hour per side. If you already have vented rotors and the calipers with spacers (same caliper with a spacer in it to accomodate the wider vented rotor) I dont get why you are considering buying solid rotors instead of installing what you already have

Replacing a single borked caliper is less work than replacing both calipers and rotors. I was under the (misinformed) impression that there was some other magic required in the installation process and that the "upgrade" was not simply bolt on.

Thanks!