NV4500 to 6.0l LQ9 Gen III

cdewan

Hi guys new to defenders lol. Looks like the moderators will let anyone join.
Ok so got tired of the 4l60e set up as the tranny went out again.
For those who don?t know the truck, I am running a Gen III set up and swapped out the 5.3 for a 6.0l. Long story but it was not for obvious reasons.

So moving to an NV4500. I got one out of a 93 GM so it has the taller 1st gear I believe though
I just picked it up so I need to get the casting numbers off of it to make sure. I also got:
the bellhousing which is internal and drop right (not ideal)
Clutch assembly except sfift fork
Flywheel
Clutch Slave cylinder
And clutch master cylinder

What I plan on doing:
1. Got the 23 spline dodge to Lt230 transfer case adapter from diesel conversions and I am getting and notching a dodge NV4500 tailshaft housing swapping in a 23 spline rear output shaft to use with the adapter. So the ass end to transfer case issues are resolved at this point.

My questions are is in doing the research:
1.what do I need to do in the ways of the right flywheel spacing to get the clutch to engage properly. I have read that the 6.0 Gen III needs a spacing of .40 so advanced adapters and Novak will be happy to sell me a new special flywheel. But if I go onto rock auto they have the 2000-2002 6.0l flywheels for between $60 and $100 bucks
2. Anyone running a drop right bellhousing in their NV4500 with clearance issues with the drive line.

As a note, in talking with Brian at diesel conversions the ideal nv45000 to get is out of 1994-2000 5.9l gas dodge 2500s 4wd. This way you only have to change the front input shaft to a gm rather than using the gm version like I am as it is cheaper to swap the front shafts gm for dodge then rear output shafts.

I called every salvage yard in NC and surrounding states for a dodge gasser and the least expensive one I could find was $1500 with a core that I did not have. Hence I bought the gm tranny for a steal at $350 and will swap the tailshaft. Net at the end of the day I hope I will save a few pennies.

One can also get nicks adapter and not change out the output shaft as a note.

Boswalt

I followed Andy thread and built off that. Went very smooth all things considered. Nothing changes on the trans. And my TC stayed in it?s original position

cdewan

Ok Andy you have done more work then I would like :).

I will post some pictures of the route I am going. I already have the 6.0l in and running as it was mated to an 4l60e. so the motor is sorted.

Also you used the GM NV4500 and 32 spline output shaft were as I am going to go the 23 spline dodge output and tailshaft.

I will post the pictures of before and aft on the tranny with the tailshaft notched to clear the T case.

In my research it appears that potentially a 2001-2006 GM 2500 would have a 6.0 gas and an NV 4500. So rather than spending the dough on an advanced adapter bellhousing, has anyone sourced stock parts to bolt mate the engine to tranny?

Landy_Andy

Ya gotta remember I live in a ski resort, nearest pick-a-part is a 6hr round trip not including finding what you want. The trans was shipped 200miles on the bus... Lol.

The AA bellhousing was for me the cheaper option and saved a few road trips ;)

Anyway, got all the drive shafts this week so after 6yrs it actually moved under its own power :D

cdewan

andy - clutch

Ya gotta remember I live in a ski resort, nearest pick-a-part is a 6hr round trip not including finding what you want. The trans was shipped 200miles on the bus... Lol.

The AA bellhousing was for me the cheaper option and saved a few road trips ;)

Anyway, got all the drive shafts this week so after 6yrs it actually moved under its own power :D

Sweet!!!

If your talking about the pic yr part in Chiliwac...been there :) while searching for "K" cams for 240 volvo's and glass euro headlights:).

Anyway - Andy - are you using the stock clutch master cylinder from a defender?

I compared the Chevy Master to the Defender Master and they Chevy 1. has an offsetting mount pattern - 2 holes one at 11 o'clock the other at 5.

Also - I sorted through the research for the NV4500 and what it all meant.

NV made 2 major variants for the GM - one is a early version and it looks like the picture below. This version, if you get it with the stock bell housing clutch etc will NOT bolt up to a Gen III motor. It will bolt up to sbc's before the Gen III redo. You can also see that the shift tower is integrated into the cover (covers can be swapped between versions).
It has a 6:34:1 first gear.
It also has an internal slave cylinder on the right side, which I don't know if it would interfere with the drive shaft.

Buying this unit sent me on that path to finally concluding that I would have to get an AA bellhousing and an AA clutch kit.
Forget that.

I sourced a later model NV with the stock bell housing from a 6.0L Gen III so I am cutting my losses. It also came with a 6.0L flywheel and clutch though I am not sure I am going to use any of that.

I will post pictures of the later model so one can actually see the differences between the units side by side.

Attachments

• tcase right.JPG
    tcase right.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 558
  • bellhousingonly.JPG
    bellhousingonly.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 553
  • clutch and fly.JPG
    clutch and fly.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 434

cdewan

Well NV4500 is in the truck. With the set up and motor mounts the Nick made awhile ago the GenIII and NV are almost in the stock location.

Does any one have the length of the stock front and rear drive shafts?

ezzzzzzz

The NV4500 gearing is most important. I ran an earlier one with the wide jump between 3 and 4 behind a 4.3 V6 in my old IIA. Rpms were either too high or too low around 35 mph as I recall. It was aggravating. I never modified the box to make those ratio changes more uniform. I sold it after I spun a bearing in the V6, found major cracking in the chassis from hard wheeling and cut the thing up.