BFG KM3 defenders

Z.G

"overlanding" has just turned into this absurd trend that no longer means what it once did. It used to be a be about vehicle-centric driving trips that were typically off road oriented. Now it's basically who has the most patches on their headliner.

vintagepatina

dont forget the gear. the importance of the actual driving has been far eclipsed by the importance of the gear.

coinciding with that is the mission oriented attitude of the whole thing. a lot of these guys act like they are on military exercises just going point to point on fire roads.

and all in a brand new point-and-shoot jk or tacoma with the windows up and a/c on.

donb

"overlanding" has just turned into this absurd trend that no longer means what it once did. It used to be a be about vehicle-centric driving trips that were typically off road oriented. Now it's basically who has the most patches on their headliner.

I remember reading old Four Wheeler magazines on the shop floor at Curt LeDuc's place in West Springfield a ton of years ago. I loved looking at Granville King's articles about him and Superdawg. Or looking at pics of the Turtle Fords. They were brief because as a young kid I wanted to see Swampers and KC lights on a lifted square body but Granville and the Turtle trucks to me is overlanding. Seems like overlanding now is the 8" lift on a Chevy with 3 shocks per corner, and 8 yellow smiley guys on chrome roll bar.

TravelinLight

Overlanding is the genius of some marketing company today to urn car camping into a very expensive pastime! (Much like the genius who turned Mobile Homs into Tiny Homes and now they are Hip) (Van life taking homelessness into a hipster's dream)

Mallsquatter is a new favorite!!

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
A trip thru ExPo East or West camping areas sums up a large percentage of the attendees. All hat and no cattle.

Attachments

• iur.jpeg
    iur.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 208

Dan kemper

Founding Member
Callsign: KK6ECF
Nailed it. Most of us fall into this spectrum at some level

I remember reading old Four Wheeler magazines on the shop floor at Curt LeDuc's place in West Springfield a ton of years ago. I loved looking at Granville King's articles about him and Superdawg. Or looking at pics of the Turtle Fords. They were brief because as a young kid I wanted to see Swampers and KC lights on a lifted square body but Granville and the Turtle trucks to me is overlanding. Seems like overlanding now is the 8" lift on a Chevy with 3 shocks per corner, and 8 yellow smiley guys on chrome roll bar.

LR Max

All I see now are toyotas. Tons and tons of toyotas...with so much crap on them that they then don't work. Guys drive them for 9 months then get a 1/2 ton.

I don't think I've ever been overlanding. But I've been on some cool car camping/wheeling trips though.

RonL

wait a minute....are you saying I am not cool because I own a 21yr old Disco with re-thread tires? What do I need? A JK with cut fenders or a crewcab Taco with a 4' bed?

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
wait a minute....are you saying I am not cool because I own a 21yr old Disco with re-thread tires? What do I need? A JK with cut fenders or a crewcab Taco with a 4' bed?

The fact your Disco has lasted this long makes me jealous. I miss my old truck. It?s getting closer to cool than many Jeeps.
d7bf3c4e448cee0fadc195b66a8672fd.png

donb

"Or looking at pics of the Turtle Fords."

Yes, I remember those as well.

Obscure fact - Turtle I was a 1967 Landie 109:

https://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle-i-2/

Thanks for the link!

After reading about the Turtle trucks I might have been seeing pictures of the square body Chevy and not the Fords as it was early 80?s at LeDucs.

The Land Rover page was a great read. RDavis could grab some selling quotes for his I-6 GM :)

Funny how the modern expo guys seem to be worried about sand ladders and LED lights where the common problem with the Turtle vehicles was an engine that could burn crappy fuel and strong enough. Seems like these Expo guys should be getting old Powerstrokes instead of fancy new Toyota?s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk