Adjustable panhard arm options

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
I'm looking for a good option for an adjustable panhard arm with field-replaceable polybushes. The only one I've seen is the Britpart model, which just doesn't seem to work on my early truck. The polybush is simply too wide and does not fit in the frame-side mount without being trimmed first, which leads to early failure.

Is this something that Overtym can make?

NPT90

I went Terrafirma after I learned the britpart model didn't take the factory bushings.

TF253 Lucky8 had in stock. I removed the bushing that came with it and installed a SuperPro that came with my kit.

NPT90

TF Item includes 2 bushings installed and adjustable panhard.

Curious however, since it appears that post 2002 defenders had wider bushings fitted, do you know the width of your frame mount?

Since I haven't actually fitted it yet I am wondering if I need to swap out my panhard frame mount vs my wide type (radius arms) axles.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Oddly enough the one rn part I have on my truck is this part. They have it for a good deal and it fits fine on my 84

NPT90

They do fit fine but since they use a non-standard bushing (larger) I was concerned about serviceability going forward which is why I ditched for the TF253.

Question remains, and mine is a bit of a frankrover, if the later type 24 spline front axles use the same panhard rod bushing widths as the earlier 10-spline type

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
The axle side doesn't seem to be the problematic side--it's the arm that drops down from the steering box that's the tight fit on my truck.

DefendersNW

The axle side doesn't seem to be the problematic side--it's the arm that drops down from the steering box that's the tight fit on my truck.

Tight where? TRE or Drop Arm?

Unless you are now +3" or more lift the steering arm fitting would have plenty of room to work (most noticeable binding at full right steering lock).

NPT90

Right, that's sort of my question to you, since there seems to be a disparity between post 2002 trucks and 1984-2001 trucks regarding the panhard arms.

I am curious if perhaps we are in the same boat and we both need to update our frame mount to the later, wider type (if that is even a thing)

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
I think he is referring to the fork shaped bracket that hands down from the steering box. Was tight on mine too

NPT90

I think he is referring to the fork shaped bracket that hands down from the steering box. Was tight on mine too

That is what I am referring to. Not sure if there are competing widths for those brackets. Would make sense given that the later type 2002+ have different part numbers but I can't confirm that change (length or bushing width)