300Tdi Oil Analysis Results

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
What should I know/understand about this?

Attachments

• Def110 Oil Analysis 1.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 163

Red90

Wear metals are highish, especially the lead. Probably triple the levels I see for total wear metals. Is this a fairly new rebuild? If so, that would make sense.

Silicon is high, which is usually from dirt in the engine due to air filter bypass.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
I'm interested in sending a sample of mine in. Anybody else interested? It would be great to get some additional data points. It's only $28.

1of40

I’ve sent in a couple on my NAS w/170k and our LR4 w/30K. Plan to do one on the tdi with a new rebuild next.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I'd like to see what other peoples' numbers are. No, this is not a rebuild, this is an unknown Disco Tdi.

LR Max

X2 on high silicon. That is concerning. Change out your air filter/check it all. Use a quality air filter. Mann and Hummel comes to mind. You are liable to dust your engine and that is a bad time.

I read this as 7,500 mi for an oil change is too long. X2 trying it at 3k and see what happens. If it drops these numbers back down, then try 5k next time and if there is no real difference, then you now know your oil change interval.

What filter are you using.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I will check air filter. Not sure why there would be an issue. I’m using OE filters right now. Which reminds me.... are any of the correct filters available from an Amazon link that anyone has used? With the number of Rovers around here, maybe one of their buttons is needed.

I’m not sure where they got the numbers for 7500 vs 3000. I have only 6k since the install. But the important thing is I will do another analysis at the 3k interval, then compare numbers.

Air filter change = when dirty, or at ???? Miles.
Oil filter change = 3k, but would push if not given the chance.

1of40

X2 on high silicon. That is concerning. Change out your air filter/check it all. Use a quality air filter. Mann and Hummel comes to mind. You are liable to dust your engine and that is a bad time.

I read this as 7,500 mi for an oil change is too long. X2 trying it at 3k and see what happens. If it drops these numbers back down, then try 5k next time and if there is no real difference, then you now know your oil change interval.

What filter are you using.

I don't believe the report is saying his interval was 7500; I believe it is saying that the national figures used for comparison are typically 7500.

LR Max

I don't believe the report is saying his interval was 7500; I believe it is saying that the national figures used for comparison are typically 7500.

Ah, good catch. Yeah I believe that.

Silicon is most commonly ingested into the engine via the air intake. Hence why I'm curious. Maybe take a look at the inside of your intake hoses and intercooler? Are they clean?

In all honesty, if you order parts somewhat regularly from Europe, get M+H filters there. I can get M+H oil filters for about $6/filter. So when I do an order, I just get an extra filter. Easy enough. So I always have one on the shelf.

Air filter, probably good for at least 15,000 miles assuming you aren't in dusty condition. Beyond that, keep an eye on it. NEVER SLAP AN AIR FILTER AGAINST THE SIDE OF THE TRUCK. Nor blow it out with the air compressor. This can warp damage the filter and not work. Seen it a number of times on
construction equipment. Kills the engine.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I actually had the turbo end of the intake open just a few days ago, the intake looks clean, but that doesn't mean dust isn't getting through.

Red90

You won't see the dust. You need to make sure the air filter is a decent brand and that it is sealing properly to the housing.