Coolant Leak

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
It's coming from the overflow one the Disco someplace, and I just barely had time to look for it as I was rushing to work this morning. (It's only a 6 mile commute, so I went anyway.)

It didn't look like the hoses were leaking. And I know these things can fail, so when they do go, is it common for a crack to develop in the bottom someplace?

I'll check again this evening, just to make sure it isn't a loose hose, but I assume I'll need a new overflow. Which type are the best: black, or clear?

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
I personally prefer the clear"ish". There are the cheap clear ones and I have heard of a lot of those failing. There is the sort of tan milky ones and that is the one you want.

A lot of hose clamps "sink" into hoses as they age (particularly when new--always retighten after 100-200 miles). Older hoses seem to even seep between the layers--most the time it is a hose clamp but absolutely could be a leak on the resevoir. Typically at the seem, not a crack at the bottom.

What I would do if I were you is to add some UV die to your coolant--just a little will work. Any autoparts store will have it and then use a black light to see exactly where the trail leads to. You can get this stuff and a light pretty cheap and it is a great diagnostic tool to have in your arsenal. This will prevent you from throwing parts that you don't need at the truck.

Allisport makes terrific stuff. Can also be a super long wait if you are ordering direct (my buddy ordered his intercooler before I started my LS swap and it came after I was all done many months later). Personally, spending $170 on a coolant resevoir I will leave to the big buck guys that have the money to burn. I'd personally pull one from a wrecked disco in a pull your parts yard...

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
This is one of the clear tanks shaped like bubbles. I've always had the metal, black, or semi-transparent tanks. I did a quick search, and the PN seems mixed with any one of the plastic tanks. Do all the plastic types fit the Disco?

It must be leaking from the seam area near where it bolts to the vehicle because I can't see where it is actually coming out, only that it is dripping below the tank. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure it isn't a hose. It was pouring down rain on the way home, so I can't tell anything now.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
The part number PCF101590 shows the clear kind, the black, and the semi-clear. How do I ensure I get the one I want? I have a very bad record on getting parts that are not what I order...

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
The part number PCF101590 shows the clear kind, the black, and the semi-clear. How do I ensure I get the one I want? I have a very bad record on getting parts that are not what I order...

If you get a Genuine one I think it will be the beige tank. The original ones were black. Aftermarket ones are clear.

1of40

I’m not a fan of the black ones. I have one and it makes it too difficult to see where the coolant level is. I have to wait for the engine to cool and remove the cap. Totally unnecessary.

Jeff B

Will Tillery was selling the clear tanks at good prices
He might still have some stocked

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I?m not a fan of the black ones. I have one and it makes it too difficult to see where the coolant level is. I have to wait for the engine to cool and remove the cap. Totally unnecessary.

That’s why I bought a sensor type cap for the black one in my Defender.