12v Compressor Comparison

LR Max

I have the twin piston ARB suitcase compressor. It works so well I'm spoiled rotten now.

SOB quickly and efficiently airs up two vehicles in no time. Expensive but it just works.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I've had one of those MV50s for several years...takes so long to refill four tires that I envy those with a permanently plumbed in solution....

Jeff B

I'm surprised they all didn't get an award.

A major award?

I want one of those spark plug thingamajigs.
Isn't that putting a fuel/air mix into the tire?
I wonder if it would explode if you had a slow leak and someone was lighting up a cig next to your tire...:D

modernbeat

I want one of those spark plug thingamajigs.
Isn't that putting a fuel/air mix into the tire?...

No they don't put fuel into the tire. They typically push a small piston in the screw-in part that pushes fresh air into the tire.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Question for the collective wisdom. Has anyone taken the RRC air suspension compressor and tank and plumbed up an onboard system ? We are starting a back burner ground up 90 SW build to take to events. The drive train (because we have it sitting here) will be a 14cux 4.2 v8 auto through a 1.2 to 4:10's with arb's. The same donor truck has the 3 gal tank and original compressor. I have always disliked the amount of racket that some of these compressors make so was think of trying RRC unit. Anyone have thoughts on using this stuff under a 90 ? Truck is a side tank rig so the rear space between the rails is open.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Question for the collective wisdom. Has anyone taken the RRC air suspension compressor and tank and plumbed up an onboard system ? We are starting a back burner ground up 90 SW build to take to events. The drive train (because we have it sitting here) will be a 14cux 4.2 v8 auto through a 1.2 to 4:10's with arb's. The same donor truck has the 3 gal tank and original compressor. I have always disliked the amount of racket that some of these compressors make so was think of trying RRC unit. Anyone have thoughts on using this stuff under a 90 ? Truck is a side tank rig so the rear space between the rails is open.

I know its been done. Simple T junction to whatever connector you chose.
The downside is its weak duty cycle. These compressors do't have to work very hard so the duty cycle is short. A dedicated compressor likely will last longer.....

Red90

The problem with using the EAS compressor is that you will saturate its drier using it to pump up tires. The drier relies on the air backflowing during suspension lowering to regenerate the desiccant. If you live somewhere that has winter, this will result in your EAS valves from freezing and a dead suspension system.

LRNAD90

I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this, but none of these (possibly with the exception of the ARB) seem like very high end compressors...

I like Overland Journal, but given the mission (vehicle dependent travel), I would think they'd be reviewing higher end products, with better performance, and more likely to be more durable?

What ever happened to the Ready Air Line from Thomas, for example, are they NLA these days?

What about Extreme Air, Oasis Air, etc. These no longer players? (dating myself I guess)..

Old comparison..

LRNAD90

This is the Thomas Ready Air I run, its been good, but I really only use it for airing up..

1.1 CFM at 75 PSI
120 PSI max
Believe it was 100% duty cycle
And was the same compressor used on the H1's for the central tire inflation system..

Attachments

• Ready Air 3rd HP Compressor.jpg
    Ready Air 3rd HP Compressor.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Ready-AIR.jpg
    Ready-AIR.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 168

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
I like Overland Journal, but given the mission (vehicle dependent travel), I would think they'd be reviewing higher end products, with better performance, and more likely to be more durable?

Their target audience is people who finance new Toyotas. The compressor needs to hold up to a couple of weekend trips a year and some parking lot meetups.