Value of D1 vs just axles for D90 swap

Red90

...and never having to work on drum brakes again.

The problem here is that Defender disc brakes are a pain to work on.... The hub needs to come off to change the rotor. The 90 drums are stupid simple. If you were comparing normal car discs to drum, the argument would hold water, but not in this case.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
John, I get what you are saying.....but I can't like non self adjusting drum brakes.
I'm a hater

WreckITFrank

Technical Excellence Contributor
So finally got a chance to see the disco. Floors are toast, but exterior and doors are decent. It also runs but has an astounding 270k miles on it. Interior is not all that bad. Axles are fully oil coated so not the worst with rust. At this mileage, is it even worth it for the axles? I assume they'll need a rebuild most likely. If parting out can fund the axle rebuild, them I'm game. Otherwise just move on to some yard axles with half the mileage ( that may need rebuild anyway?)

TF 3" w/ about 20k miles. Wheels and noname tires in decent shape.

Thanks again in advance.

c92b26b071c9d12827a4ae9ab1a2b687.jpg

Napalm00

I'd check the gears through the fill plug with a flashlight, replace wheel bearings and seals and run it

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
We use the following for defender builds:
steering
axles and radius and trailing arms and rear wishbone
engine wiring loom and ecu
heads, injection system, y pipe, block depending on milage
trans and transfer case, shifters and linkage
front drive shaft (solid vs defender tube)
frame side engine mounts and rear tcase frame side mount brackets

Sell the carcass to scrapper to get it out of here -typically get $120-140, never pull glass, interior, anything .07 lb.
Have found there is next to zero demand for doors, seats, interior panels etc so have discarded 8 trucks less the list above in the past 12 mos. We only buy the 96-99 gems trucks for donors.

You said you wanted it for its vented front brakes and disc rears. Disco 1's didnt have vented front brakes. I put vented rotor/caliper setups on these axles all the time but wanted to give you a heads up they aren't there stock. If its local and cheap its hard to go wrong for less than 1k.

One ten

I would think you may need carrier bearings and pinion bearing in the diffs after that many miles

WreckITFrank

The vehicle didn't work out, as there was too much unknown with that many miles. Pulled the trigger on a decent front and rear axle set, with plenty of ancillaries still attached. Since the rear of the vehicle is apart, I will work on that end first. The rear did not come with calipers, so need brackets which seem impossible to find and calipers. Prices are not that bad, but without a core they would cost more than I paid for the axle, which is why i guess they are not on there.

That said, what is the best way to go on calipers? Stock disco 1, or is there a better version of something that fits. Is there any other vehicles that are interchangeable to keep an eye out for?

Thanks.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
I put Defender 110 callipers, pads, and rotors on my D90 which is the same as a D1 rear axle.

Red90

Those are 110 calipers, for Salisbury axles. With the Disco axle, you want the Disco/D90 calipers, STC1264/65. The 110s have larger rotors, the calipers need to match.

Robert

Those are 110 calipers, for Salisbury axles. With the Disco axle, you want the Disco/D90 calipers, STC1264/65. The 110s have larger rotors, the calipers need to match.

I'm running those calipers and matching rotors on a disco rear axle along with the front defender vented rotors and matching calipers. It works well, the proportioning valve had the same part number when I investigated. I was surprised, so feel free to double check that. A nice bonus is the D1,90,RRC pad retention springs are crap and for some reason possibly due to supplier quality the pads rotate in the caliper, the 110 uses solid pins and totally eliminates this problem.

edit: looks like prop valves may be different, anr 1415 vs anr 3194. Using anr 3194 works fine for me, no abs, single line to the rear tee fitting

WreckITFrank

Thanks for the info Robert.

I think I have all this straight. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Front options:
1. D1/D90/RRC, with D90 being best due to larger piston.

2. D90 vented option from a NAS 90

Rear:
-D1/D90/RRC (STC1264/65)

-110 (STC1268/69), but new prop valve suggested?

As Robert seems to be running on a D90 valve over the 110.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
On the RRC, They were 10 spline at first-its bugging me that I cannot recall exactly when they went to 24 but I'm thinking some time in 1993.

Robert

Thanks for the info Robert.

I think I have all this straight. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Front options:
1. D1/D90/RRC, with D90 being best due to larger piston.

2. D90 vented option from a NAS 90

I'm only considering 300tdi era parts. Looking at the parts catalog, A NAS 90 uses the same front brakes as a ROW 300TDI era 90/110/130. its the same vented front rotor as a NAS RRC, but the caliper is 46mm pistons instead of 41mm. They all have the same footprint, single line to each caliper unlike the ABS RRC

Rear:
-D1/D90/RRC (STC1264/65)

-110 (STC1268/69), but new prop valve suggested?

Mine is on a Disco. Since the front and rear calipers all went from 41mm to 46mm the braking proportion is unchanged and the stock disco anr3194 works fine for me.

A 90 uses ntc8836, 110/130 uses anr1415. I don't think I'd change this on a 90 since they are so nose heavy as it is, but a 110 should probably get the correct part.

Red90

There is nothing to be gained by putting larger rear brakes on a 90. All it will do is make it more likely to lock the rears before the fronts, which is very unsafe.

Robert

There is nothing to be gained by putting larger rear brakes on a 90. All it will do is make it more likely to lock the rears before the fronts, which is very unsafe.

There have been several vehicles made that dynamically adjust the rear braking force based on cargo weight. A built 90 with an increased rear weight would benefit from this.

Can you even lockup just the rear with a awd center diff vehicle? Front would have to accelerate to 2x the rotation speed while fighting brake forces. Maybe if a throttle stuck while braking