Will it fit...?

66rover99

Had my alternator give up on me yesterday. 95 Defender 300 TDI. Looks like stock setup, but who knows?

I'm wondering if a D1 or D2 alternator would do the job as I've got either close at hand at local pick and pull wrecking yard.

Anyone had success in installing a V8 Discovery alternator into a TDI Defender?

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
I do not know much about the 300 TDI alternator so for the following information you would really want to double check, but for the V8 alternator I bought the mean Green 200A which I now know was based off of the AC delco cs144 high amp alternator. Parts for that are super simple super cheap and easy to replace. If I was to get another alternator for a V-8 set up I would skip Mean Green and just get the AC Delco and make my correct spacers. I don’t know if you need a high amp alternator or not nor do I know if you can adapt that alternator to a 300 TDI. But worth a quick look...

66rover99

Well, high output would be nice, and I figured the jump from the 65 amp to 100 amp would be a step in the right direction. But getting it back on the road so I can go camping next weekend trumps the output at this time. Once I have something in place and functioning, it buys me time to evaluate the best high output option. I'll take a further look into the Mean Green and AC Delco you mentioned. Thanks

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
The 100a units that Robert Davis sells are worth the money in my opinion. I have ran one for over a year with a dual battery setup and I wouldn't change a thing.

Red90

Before going crazy, pull the voltage regulator and see if the brushes are stuck. Takes a few minutes and is a common problem especially if you see mud.

Red90

If you want to upgrade later the stock Marelli 100A units are nice and no more cost than any local alternator options.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I had mine rebuilt by a local place. Probably takes longer than just buying a new one.

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
And if it were me I would see if the internal components are available. Super simple— this is a diode pack and you have a voltage regulator and you have your brushes. Outside of the bearings of course. For the AC Delco units all those parts are 10 bucks or so maybe a little more. I can crack open an alternator and replace the zener diode pack and or the voltage regulator and have it back together in a half hour.

66rover99

Before going crazy, pull the voltage regulator and see if the brushes are stuck. Takes a few minutes and is a common problem especially if you see mud.

The brushes are not stuck, they are pretty worn down though. Slip rings too. I used a bit of emery cloth on my finger and spun it to clean things up a bit. Put it back together and at least its charging a little. That should keep me going for a few days until I do my shopping for a high output alternative.

thanks John.

Dave

66rover99

And if it were me I would see if the internal components are available. Super simple? this is a diode pack and you have a voltage regulator and you have your brushes. Outside of the bearings of course. For the AC Delco units all those parts are 10 bucks or so maybe a little more. I can crack open an alternator and replace the zener diode pack and or the voltage regulator and have it back together in a half hour.

Looking at the slip rings, they are worn almost through the copper. I think this will be a rebuild rather than a replace, but I agree the parts are cheap.

cheers, Dave

donb

Search Iskra AAK5326 300tdi - might be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donb

I got an Inkra alternator in today. Here are pics of it next to a LR replacement alternator that I tried to clock to work on the 200tdi Discovery. I brought an internal bush so saving it for parts and bought this. The clocked one has the old style pulley.

13e0af338042ec974d55a790364009d5.jpg

60167e0f439fd350b59b4a448c772819.jpg

8ad9819ba18a4468feb5df1f18bf88c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk