Cummins Repower ISF 2.8 for Defenders

Shaddrach

I got the same email. That?s a significant savings! Unfortunately, I just spent all my money on an Ashcroft ZF auto tranny, but maybe some day I?ll be able to mate it up to this engine.

5.9lj

I know Cummins has their new disco 1 with the r2.8 and 6speed auto. New to the forum here.
Got to drive the Discovery for a while and it’s a great combo. Heritage Driven did the build, and heard they are building some 110s with the same combo right now.

Personally well worth the money, I will be building a RR classic with one soon.... I know not a defender but still.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I'd just like to see, hear read reviews on the Land Rovers that are on the road with this engine, regardless of whether its an automatic or stick.

Red90

I'd like to see someone that has not needed to take 1000 hours, 6 months and $20000 to show a conversion. Lots of people saying they are doing it and not seeing anyone driving one.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
I'd like to see someone that has not needed to take 1000 hours, 6 months and $20000 to show a conversion. Lots of people saying they are doing it and not seeing anyone driving one.

Our's is a bad example because we pulled the truck all the way apart with chassis and bulkhead repairs,galvanizing, bulkhead removal, 8 point external cage, brake and drivetrain upgrades, and all tricked out suspension, as opposed to just doing a conversion. That said had a custom exhaust made and mounted yesterday and will have the body lowered back on the chassis shortly.

brdhmltn

I must be honest and say mine is still in the crate and I haven't gotten to it yet. These engine packages historically have a way of being sold for a short time and then vanishing. I was unsure if the opportunity would be there in the future, I had the money, I trust Cummins engines, so I bought it. Life did step in with a new baby and moving to a new house within a month of each other (moving with an infant sucks btw), which didn't let me get to it this winter. Seeing a 15% discount now doesn't feel the best, but I'm an adult and I made my choices. I'm just a guy in his own garage, not a shop by any means.

Budget is a total concern for me. I'm now wondering about buying trans adapters in case Aluminum shoots up in price! I was hoping an upside of waiting to start would mean availability of swap parts would be better, which every day I get a tiny bit more disappointed it isn't.

I loved the email Cummins sent out this morning to purchasers of the R2.8. Exactly what I would hope to see from a company support-wise. Lessened the impact of the discount.

5.9lj

Well full disclosure then. I work for heritage Driven... not a sales person and this is in no way trying to advertise.... just posting info.
We have done 3 complete builds/swaps. First was the 85 Toyota pickup that Cummins used on many ads. Next was with a friend at Tav on a Toyota FJ40. And last one was the Discovery for Cummins, all info and builds on the repowerowners.com forum.
It does not take 1000 hours, and does not take 6 months.
Between the 3 over 15k miles on this engine with 3 different transmissions. If anyone wants to drive the pickup with the r2.8 come to ABQ and take it out, it?s the shop truck. It is not a complicated swap and will get simpler the more that are done.

We are building a 110 next but full rebuilds like some of the others, when replacing every nut and bolt it does take time.

Again not trying to advertise, just trying to get info out there.

5.9lj

I'd just like to see, hear read reviews on the Land Rovers that are on the road with this engine, regardless of whether its an automatic or stick.

What do you want to hear? I can tell you more than you ever want to know.
In 5 speed manual, 4 speed auto, and 6 speed auto

LR Max

has anyone looked into dropping one of these into a series rover?

I've been studying on it. Would be a good engine package. Trying to figure out if it'll bolt up to the later Mopar 6 speed manual transmission. I think that would be a good setup in a series. At that point, you are looking at using a Forbyn transfer case which is pricey but might as well cut the crap.

The Chevy 2.0T still seems to be a better option for a series. Bolt up transmission and engine cost is in the neighborhood. Also stupid power.

DefendersNW

has anyone looked into dropping one of these into a series rover?

Yes - working with another company on the second 2.8 we have to go into a S2 109 Dormobile bodied build. I think it would be a great setup for the owner who wanted all the aesthetics of a Series truck but the ease of maintenance and "any driver in the family' usability of the R2.8 mated to an auto-box.

rherl

Motor Mounts

Are any of the builders out there going to sell a weld in motor mount for the Defender? I hate recreating the wheel on something like this.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Are any of the builders out there going to sell a weld in motor mount for the Defender? I hate recreating the wheel on something like this.

The frame side mounts will differ with what transmision you use ie that is what dictates engine position fore and aft.

rherl

Doug, does changing the fore aft position change the basic shape of the mount or just the position of where the mount goes? With that said the truck you are currently building seems like it would be popular way to go with 6L80E and Marks adapter. Would that be something you would make a run of mounts for interested parties? As I've watched this build you are doing and seen the quality of the parts you are using, I think you would have a good market willing to buy a kit that included the additional parts to perform a 2.8 swap.

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
Doug, does changing the fore aft position change the basic shape of the mount or just the position of where the mount goes? With that said the truck you are currently building seems like it would be popular way to go with 6L80E and Marks adapter. Would that be something you would make a run of mounts for interested parties? As I've watched this build you are doing and seen the quality of the parts you are using, I think you would have a good market willing to buy a kit that included the additional parts to perform a 2.8 swap.

what he said