Death Valley on a tank of gas

pmatusov

Technical Excellence Contributor
Callsign: AK6PM
Just in case any of you haven't been there and plan on making a trip: these are distances and driving times I googled before the trip, and they seem to be reasonably close:

• Las Vegas To Beatty - 117 miles, about 2 hours
  • LA to Beatty via Baker - 313 miles, about 5 hours
  • LA to Beatty via CA 14, Panamint Springs, and center of Death Valley - 276 miles, about 5 hours
  • San Diego to Beatty via Baker - 6 hours
  • Beatty - Leadfield via Rhyolite and Titus Canyon Road): 22 mi, ~1. hr (+30 min - an hour and half in Rhyolite)
  • Leadfield to Ubehebe Crater: 35 miles, ~1.5 hours
  • Ubehebe Crater to Racetrack Playa: 27 mi, ~1.5 hours
  • Racetrack Playa to Saline Warm Springs: 37 mi, ~3 hours
  • Saline Warm Springs to Eureka Dunes via Steel Pass: 29 miles, ~3 hours
  • Eureka Dunes to Ancient Bristlecone Pine forest: 67 mi, 3 hours
  • Bristlecone to Bishop: ~20 mi, ~2 hours (snow permitting)
  • Bishop to Las Vegas - 270 mi, ~4.5 hours
  • Bishop to LA - 270mi, ~4 hours
  • Bishop to San Diego - 350-380 mi, ~6 hours

Should you fly to Southwest and rent a vehicle: Titus Canyon, Racetrack Road, and Lippincott Trail are passable in a rental SUV. Steele Pass requires at least a JK Wrangler, but maybe one can make it in a Grand Cherokee. Silver Canyon Road - any rental SUV uphill, possible downhill with care.

Here's a map.

The Dro

Illustrious
Great information. Thanks!
Just in case any of you haven't been there and plan on making a trip: these are distances and driving times I googled before the trip, and they seem to be reasonably close:

• Las Vegas To Beatty - 117 miles, about 2 hours
  • LA to Beatty via Baker - 313 miles, about 5 hours
  • LA to Beatty via CA 14, Panamint Springs, and center of Death Valley - 276 miles, about 5 hours
  • San Diego to Beatty via Baker - 6 hours
  • Beatty - Leadfield via Rhyolite and Titus Canyon Road): 22 mi, ~1. hr (+30 min - an hour and half in Rhyolite)
  • Leadfield to Ubehebe Crater: 35 miles, ~1.5 hours
  • Ubehebe Crater to Racetrack Playa: 27 mi, ~1.5 hours
  • Racetrack Playa to Saline Warm Springs: 37 mi, ~3 hours
  • Saline Warm Springs to Eureka Dunes via Steel Pass: 29 miles, ~3 hours
  • Eureka Dunes to Ancient Bristlecone Pine forest: 67 mi, 3 hours
  • Bristlecone to Bishop: ~20 mi, ~2 hours (snow permitting)
  • Bishop to Las Vegas - 270 mi, ~4.5 hours
  • Bishop to LA - 270mi, ~4 hours
  • Bishop to San Diego - 350-380 mi, ~6 hours

Should you fly to Southwest and rent a vehicle: Titus Canyon, Racetrack Road, and Lippincott Trail are passable in a rental SUV. Steele Pass requires at least a JK Wrangler, but maybe one can make it in a Grand Cherokee. Silver Canyon Road - any rental SUV uphill, possible downhill with care.

Here's a map.

DefendersNW

Additionally if you want a Defender in DV there are a couple rental outfits close enough to make it feasible for a week long trip - but not close enough for a weekend romp.

Sonoran Rovers out of Tucson would be my first choice - Fly into PHX or Tucson and explore the Sonoran Desert and camp in Mojave, Mojave trail to Trona in a day, Explore Death Valley for 3-4 days, into Vegas for a night, and back to Tucson in a day. Makes for a great way to explore the Southwest - just stay off the interstates...

The trip report is great - I never take enough photos when in DV - too busy looking around and enjoying the moment I guess..

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
Outstanding trip report! This is exactly the kind of experience based content this forum needs!