Any Info on S. Africa?

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
While you're there you'll want to pick-up some Howling Moon seat covers, a Howling Moon Wizz 26, and an Iveco Adapter from Gilo for me (if you have time).

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Actually, that's one of the other things I was going to ask -- what stuff should I BUY!!

...er... what stuff should I ask my wife if I can buy?

Tbaumer

RBBailey when are you going to South Africa?
My wife & I are planning to see the wild side at the Zulu Nyala reserve this next year. It is in the middle of nowhere (9 hours from Johannesburg), so there won't be much opportunity to see the rest of the country. We are exploring in Defenders though, so we have that going for us! :)

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I'll post more later, but we are spending a week in Rwanda, then going to S. Africa. Right now the plan is to start in the north, with Kruger, then throw away a day to drive to Port Elizabeth, then along the south coast to Cape Town. I doubt we could afford a Defender, but we are looking at a 4-door Hilux or the like.

Tbaumer

Sounds like the kind of vacation I'd rather be doing. I'll be looking for your trip report!

RDavisinVA

Are you bring back stuff for members if you have room?
I am missing the bottom cushion covers for the front seats and need 2 covers for the individual inward facing cargo area seats and the covers for the 60/40 middle row seats in tan from Melville & Moon for a 1984 110 5 door wagon.
Will take up about the same amount of room as an overcoat.

If you don't have room and are just buying for yourself, that's completely understandable, then buy a set of Melville & Moon seat covers and a Howling Moon Wizz 26 Tent.

Happy Thanksgiving and:
Enjoy the adventure!

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
OK, so here is what is going on.

Not only is a trip to Africa a life-long goal that I've had, but this particular trip is special for a few reasons.

For the past 8 years or so, we have been sponsoring two kids in Rwanda, so that they are able to go to school. Most kids who live in rural communities end up quitting school, and working from about the age of 8-10 years old. Our meager sponsorship allows them to keep going to school, get uniforms, basic medical care, a meal while at school, and other supplies. Basically, it pays the bill for what their family cannot afford, but would otherwise love for their children to be able to do.

This July, we will be privileged enough to be able to meet our sponsored children face to face, to visit their homes, schools, and to meet their families. My wife is a principal, and I've been teaching for something like 5 or 15 years so we will be making some time to meet with teachers, students, and administration at the schools while we are there.

Africa New Life missions is an organization that was founded in Portland, by an East African native, a Rwandan citizen, in response to the genocide of the early 1990's. Specifically, the organization worked to try to take care of the nearly 3,000,000 orphans left as a result of that event. As time passed, the mission became much broader. The children grew up, and went on to adulthood, but the poverty, and all that comes with it, stayed. So the organization evolved with the situation, and now they are running their own schools. They just opened the only full service hospital in the country (specifically, it is the only one that has a specialty in prenatal care) they have an ongoing and effective sponsorship program, clean water programs, and on, and on... Many of their students are now being sponsored to attend college and university in the United States. A life-long friend of mine is the director for the State-side operations, and we are making this trip with him.

The goal of this particular trip is to fulfill one of Africa New Life's philosophies about what it means to help in a place like Rwanda: to build relationships. The idea is that for we Americans, it is easy to give $30-$50 per month to sponsor a child, but money alone does not fix the cycle of poverty. Anywhere. In fact, especially from the African perspective, it smacks of a sort of neo-Colonialism, a holier-than-thou, I'm American, I can fix you, type of mentality that we want to avoid. To be able to come for a visit; to attempt to treat the poverty stricken as if they are human -- well it turns out that this is one of the most effective, life-changing aspects of what it means to be a sponsor.

We've been trying to make this trip for the last 3-4 years or so, but it has not worked for one reason or another. We are not specifically looking for sponsorship, for cash to help with our expenses, but we would love it if you would consider sponsoring a child through Africa New Life as a show of solidarity with what we are doing this summer. Maybe you will be able to visit your kid some time in the future as well!

I'll be trying to document the trip with photos and such. And I would love to be able to talk to people about it if they are curious. We have tried to so something big every summer over the past 3-4 years, and this is no exception. Since we are already spending the cash on getting there, which is the bulk of the cost! we are going to make sure to make the most of what might be a once-in-a-lifetime event. We will be spending 48 hours in Nairobi on the way there, where I will get a chance to visit the house of Karen Blixen (one of my great aunts, by marriage) and the Elephant and Giraffe centers. We will then be joining our team for nine days of visits and touring the country in Rwanda. After that, we are flying to Johannesburg, then driving directly to Kruger National Park for five days of self-guided safari. On either end, we are taking advantage of our long layovers by visiting Windsor Castle, and on the way back, by spending the day in the desert on camels and by Land Rover in Dubai. The plans alone are making my head spin.

Please take a look at Africa New Life, and consider sponsoring a child for education and other basic needs. It's an organization that is actually making a difference: http://www.<wbr>africanewlife.org/

Jrose609

Awesome, Ben! So cool to see your sponsored kids!

Hannibal awnings are worth their weight in gold.....just sayin