Swivel housing?

Boswalt

My right front wheel has some play when pulled from the top outward. Left side is solid. I was thinking of rebuilding both sides but not sure if I need the swivel housings or just the seals, pins and bearings. Any input?

Red90

The play can be the wheel bearing or the swivels. You don't "need" anything to adjust them....except maybe a drive flange gasket and lock washer for the bearings.

If rebuilding, you just need seals. There is no reason to replace any bearings unless they are bad. Being loose and needing adjustment is normal maintenance.

DefendersNW

My right front wheel has some play when pulled from the top outward. Left side is solid. I was thinking of rebuilding both sides but not sure if I need the swivel housings or just the seals, pins and bearings. Any input?

Railko bush may be shot if you are still running the MOD axle - plan on replacing. Use a trigger or fish scale to get the tension correct and adjust shims as needed. Your bottom bearing is likely just fine, if not easy enough to replace (606666) -

If you hadn't got into them during the restore, I'd plan on getting in there and rebuilding - you will need seals and one-shot (or 90wt) - and if the balls are leaking you can repair using a fill and polish.

Doing one side on a Tdi Disco this morning I you wanted to come down and get after it...

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
It's an easy job, just dirty.

To add to what John and Brian said, get yourself an assortment of the various swivel shims in case the swivels need adjustment. I like mine at the tighter end of the spec.

Everything is very greasy and dirty. I used a bucket of water and some Zep Fast 505 spray and a rag to clean my parts and it was a lot easier than using brake parts cleaner--no fumes, either.

Boswalt

so the housing itself shouldn't need to be replaced unless its pitted and / or leaking?

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
so the housing itself shouldn't need to be replaced unless its pitted and / or leaking?

Highly unlikely that your housing needs to be replaced. Swivel balls can get pitted from rust. If you do buy new swivel balls, buy only Genuine. Jimmy Kelly can give you the details on aftermarket swivel ball failures.

DefendersNW

Even if pitted it can be repaired, by you, in your garage...

If the pitting/damage is deep you can replace - but if only surface wear (or only a few spots, then resurfacing with a 2-part fill is viable.