NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Technical Forums > Defender Technical Discussions

Old 11-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #71
Napalm00
Shaft! (Can you dig it?)

yea huge bummer , glad it got caught tho
Napalm00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:46 AM   #72
RBBailey

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You do t need to crack anything on a TDI. They are self bleeding. With the stock system just crank it for five seconds and it is bled.
I think this must depend on exactly how your hoses are running from exactly what point the filter is sitting from exactly how long each hose is... etc....

In my experience, I have managed to get fuel into the lines by cranking for a few seconds, but I would not go past that. Usually (in the three or four times I've done it) manually pumping, then waiting, then cranking, then manual pumping is what got the fuel to return into the lines, or to fill the new filter.

Maybe my fuel lines just happen to have a certain dip, rise, length in them that allows for some air lock the moment the old filter is removed. Yours doesn't, thereby allowing you to re-prime with the turn of the key.

After rebuilding the fuel system myself, though, I do see how the system will self purge once the fuel is flowing.

I'm leaning toward getting an electric pump, even if I do install a new mechanical, and just using the factory V8 in-tank pump wiring that is still in place. This will be properly connected to the ignition, and fused without any modifications. Redundancy without complication. Good.
RBBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #73
Red90

If it is not self purging there is a leak or a pump not working or the plumbing is not as per stock. The lift pump and the injection pump supply pump are positive displacement. They both pump air as well as fuel. The lift pump moves a lot of fuel.