NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Non-Technical Forums > General

Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #141
Red90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I'm pretty sure Jeep and the Wrangler customers could care less. They sell more Wranglers per month than Land Rover sold Defenders per year.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #142
The_Vermonster

"The Wrangler, according to FCA, has “more than 75 advanced safety and security features, including four standard-equipment air bags..."

OMG, 4 whole airbags!!! The wrangler has always been more of a utilitarian vehicle than the rest of the market. But it's lagging farther and farther behind in safety features. It only barely outsells the Cherokee, despite every Jeep enthusiast hating it. Pretty much the only thing it has going for it is the classic vibes. In the next few years it's going to face more competition than ever.
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #143
copleymotorcars

if you actually read that article, they only truly knocked it for pedestrian safety and for lack of electronic safety "features" like lane keeping assistance. nothing to do with the actual safety or integrity of the vehicle itself.

adam

www.copleymotorcars.com

adam@copleymotorcars.com / tel. +1 781-444-4646
copleymotorcars is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to copleymotorcars For This Useful Post:
donb (12-06-2018), nopistons (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #144
RBBailey

Member Trucks

I kind of want one of the pickups. Would make a good daily.
RBBailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #145
Red90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vermonster View Post
"The Wrangler, according to FCA, has ?more than 75 advanced safety and security features, including four standard-equipment air bags..."

OMG, 4 whole airbags!!! The wrangler has always been more of a utilitarian vehicle than the rest of the market. But it's lagging farther and farther behind in safety features. It only barely outsells the Cherokee, despite every Jeep enthusiast hating it. Pretty much the only thing it has going for it is the classic vibes. In the next few years it's going to face more competition than ever.
You have zero understanding of the Wrangler market and it is the same market that would buy a real Defender in droves. Fortunately the people at Jeep understand.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #146
donb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You have zero understanding of the Wrangler market and it is the same market that would buy a real Defender in droves. Fortunately the people at Jeep understand.

It is kind of funny that Jeep has been the only people to understand. Many years ago you could get a Blazer, Bronco, Scout, Land Cruiser, 4 Runner, and Samaris with removable roofs and off road/utility features.

Chevy is closing car plants where maybe a Blazer could have been made? I don?t know if I?m simplifying it but they have the Colorado running gear (with an exterior that looks pretty crappy IMO) and I?m sure a deep parts bin to make something. Do what they did with the 1st Gen S-10 and make it look like their full size trucks but smaller. Cage it, soft top, locked diff?s, small Duramax, and classic Chevy trucks looks I think it would give Jeep some solid competition. I?ve read the Colorado is a capable rig but damn it looks ugly especially the ZR1 package (which should make it look better). Hell last time I drove by the Subaru dealer they have more Jeep like vehicles (taller stance, AT tires, aux lighting and roof rack) than most of the SUV?s I see.

I?ve been listening to the Truck Show Podcast lately. The hosts are pretty goofy but they have a solid love for trucks and off road stuff so it is entertaining to me. On the Japanese maker side, one of the latest episodes had them looking at Nissans from around the world. Hard to determine what the vehicles looked like but thru the podcast it sounded like they were loving the more utility focused Nissans. Maybe some of the packages will show up here? The audio of the Nissan turbo diesel sounded nice. The 4Runner looks great but surprised Toyota hasn?t made a soft top version of it :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
donb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #147
RBBailey

Member Trucks

Well.... Toyota gets it (hinting at importing Hilux, and you can't argue with the number of overland Tacomas out there). And Mercedes gets it, but they don't care to sell them. Jeep gets it. Ford gets it (new Ranger, new Bronco). The new Colorado is getting it. Rivian gets it.

They are all doing it in their own way, but they get the right idea about what people want. Rover is really the only one that is really focusing its entire lineup on a narrow base of customers that are not their traditional customers; leaving the rest of the market to the competition without even trying, and leaving their base clamoring for what they built 20-30 years ago.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #148
rlynch356

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

actually.. its the Jeep owners who buy all the upfit gear and never take them off road that would buy the defender. These people are the top of the jeep market.

For the middle of the market they would still buy a jeep, BC of the price point and its 'merican

The true off roaders will still buy jeeps, used.

If toyota brings the HiLux here, as far as capability goes, it crushes everything else in the market. From light Pickups to jeeps.

The new defender has every box checked to be a lifestyle CUV. basically its a discovery sport in angular metal.
rlynch356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #149
NPT90

If I could get one of the new old LC79s I'd be pretty happy
NPT90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #150
RBBailey

Member Trucks

I know a guy importing from Japan. RHD, but they are a much better value than Defenders.