FS Glow Plug Relay, Heavy Duty Controller - Diesel

Red90

Lol. Lucky you have not cooked something. I would guess it was controlled by the ECU. Normally you ground switch with an ECU controlled light.

Tomaco1

The ECU from the TD5 is gone as I?m running a 200.

I cut the glow plug wire behind the instrument panel and ran a wire to the relay itself, so I?m not sure where the power is coming from?

For some reason I can?t my pics to load in any kind of resolution

Attachments

• 147F1C26-BEC8-428A-9D0B-969CCA9C3217.jpeg
    147F1C26-BEC8-428A-9D0B-969CCA9C3217.jpeg
    448.8 KB · Views: 128

NPT90

It's not a ground switched light according to the diagrams I have looked at. It feeds +12V to the instrument panel... I run a td5 dash and it's working fine for me.

If that ECU is in place then it should work fine with any signal wire, the relay isn't going to pass excessive voltage to the warning light, mine works fine with a direct feed from the relay.

Red90

The ECU from the TD5 is gone as I?m running a 200.

I cut the glow plug wire behind the instrument panel and ran a wire to the relay itself, so I?m not sure where the power is coming from?

Are you sure that you got the correct wire?

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Thanks for linking the diagram.
I can't understand how anyone can confirm that a relay is bad when they can't confirm that it is hooked up according to the instructions.
Tom, I don't want you to think I'm being disrespectful, but as Johnny states, you're lucky not to have set fire to your ride if you are so electron challenged.
Can't you get some local help from Martjin or Chris?

Tomaco1

Thanks for linking the diagram.
I can't understand how anyone can confirm that a relay is bad when they can't confirm that it is hooked up according to the instructions.
Tom, I don't want you to think I'm being disrespectful, but as Johnny states, you're lucky not to have set fire to your ride if you are so electron challenged.
Can't you get some local help from Martjin or Chris?

I actually confirmed the relay wasn't bad.

I never even inferred it was the relay.

How do you tell someone you don't want to be disrespectful, and tell them there gonna burn their truck up?

http://www.web-rover.co.uk/nav.php?p=td5kb/ecderror

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
How do you tell someone you don't want to be disrespectful, and tell them there gonna burn their truck up?

I'll tell you why, because we are trying to help you.
You mentioned you were electrically challenged.
It only takes one shorted wire to melt through a harness, short out others within the same loom and the flames and smoke happen.
This is the last thing I would like to hear happened to your Land Rover.

The alternator went out on my wife's Acura.
We had a shop fix it because it is beyond my current skill set.

NPT90

alright, so some clarity here since T. Mac has been suffering from this... Myth confirmed, Relay 160424 models are positive switched from the L terminal. 160425 are earth switched from the L terminal. By dumb luck I bought a 160425 relay that was correct for the TD5 dash...

160424:
71J2t7IoZ0L._SL1500_.jpg

160425:
71ff70xVQgL._SL1500_.jpg

Spot the difference?

Basically by sheer dumb luck I bought the 160425 that is ground switched for the glow plugs, model information is pretty important when you purchase something like this...