1995 RRC Bulkhead Corrosion

waveridin1959

I've recently picked up a 1995 RRC to take the place of my Defender. I picked this one up in AZ. The only major rust i've found so far in on the bulkhead along the seam and the rear seam by the tailgate. The rest of the truck is cosmetic surface rust.

Im trying to figure out the best way to address it. The truck is going to be mostly a trail truck, but I want to keep it in the best shape as possible. Im guessing i need to pull the dash to address this properly. I just do not want a hole from the engine bay into the cabin.

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_193306.jpg
    IMG_20181203_193306.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 368

O2batsea

It's probably a lot worse than it looks. If you decide to dismantle the truck (I wouldn't on a trail truck) prepare to find extensive rust damage. While it's possible to get repair panels, the cure may be worse than the disease.

waveridin1959

I decided just to patch it. When i pull the motor at some point ill address the whole seam. Stinks since this is the only bad spot on the truck. (rustwise).

Z.G

There's supposed to be a hole there, it's a drain. I had it on my corrosion-free 95 Disco

I would probably suggest leaving it open as to not allow build up of water. Unless this is not the spot I'm thinking of, but I believe it is

waveridin1959

In the first pic, there was a previous hole there that looked factory. I wasnt sure what its use was since it was covered in insulation. All that insulation has been tossed and is being replaced with a dynamat knock off.

signalMTB

How does the driver side front floor pan look? I imagine with that rot it has run down to rot of the floor possibly. If you have the OEM sound deadening material in there, I'd pull it out and either leave it out or let it dry inside if you garage your truck. same for the rear cargo area. If the rear seat belt anchor points are gone, you can weld plates in there.

waveridin1959

I stripped the interior and the only corrosion i could find was a little at the rear cargo area at the seam. I wire wheeled it and painted it with POR15. I've POR15'd the front floors as well, but they didnt need it. I put down some knockoff Dynamat with Dynapad on top in the front. The only other place that needs to be addressed is the second row floor. The muffler must have gotten hot over time the heat ate away the floor. The insulation is now fused to the carpet.