Prepping Galvanized metal

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Just back from the UK, and nearly bought Mordant Solution that all the UK publications fawn over Decided that it wasn't a good idea for the baggage compartment.... Started to look at similar alternatives here in the US. Too many threads in the other place have made galvy metal prep sound complex.

Has anyone used this? http://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...ud-kutter/rust-remedies/metal-clean-and-etch/

Available at Home Despot (!) of all places

Its too cold right now to do any body work prep but I liking this as the solution I need to prep a SP4x4 galvy rear door for paint.

CDN38

Apply PPG Metal Cleaner (DX 579) mixed 1:2 with water using a scotchbrite pad. Allow to react 2-3 minutes then rinse with water. Water should sheet over the entire surface.

Then, apply PPG Metal Conditioner (DX 520) using a scotchbrite pad, straight from the container. Allow to react for 1 - 2 minutes, then rinse well and dry.

Prime with DP Epoxy Primer same day.

The DX 520 is a phosphoric acid based chemical that produces a zinc phosphate coating on steel or galvanized surfaces. (same as the Mordant Solution) It turns the galvanized zinc a dark grey colour.

I used this process to prep my galvanized side frames / B pillar assemblies for primer and paint. Works perfectly.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Why mess with multiple products for the same end result? KISS principle wins in my book.

CDN38

Because it works. The 579 is a metal cleaner, the 520 is the conditioner. There are professional grade products to do the job properly. I haven't seen any body shops using rustoleum products to prep for paint...

As with any body / paint process, the end result will truly reflect the amount of time and care put into prep. "Easy" and "one step" processes don't usually yield quality results.

In my book, doing it right, once, the first time wins. (i'm just sayin')

nas90tdi

X 2 on the PPG products. I have used them a fair bit with fantastic results. Every piece of steel on this truck is galvanized with the exception of the ARB bumper. All black parts prepped and painted with the PPG system. None of it flaked or peeled.

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 208