Re-importing

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
What's the deal with re-importing a truck into the US?

I have my 110 that I imported in 2013. It has since undergone a repower to 300Tdi and a swap to a new galvanized chassis (no VIN stamping).

There's a possibility that my wife will get sent to Korea or Germany and I'm wondering if I would be able to take the truck and bring it back 3 - 3.5 years later.

xplorutah

Seems to me a respected guy here posted once(on that other site), that if a vehicle leaves for over a year, it needs to be reimported, with all the requirements that come with importing. That could have changed, and I could be wrong. Good luck!

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
What's the deal with re-importing a truck into the US?

I have my 110 that I imported in 2013. It has since undergone a repower to 300Tdi and a swap to a new galvanized chassis (no VIN stamping).

There's a possibility that my wife will get sent to Korea or Germany and I'm wondering if I would be able to take the truck and bring it back 3 - 3.5 years later.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I think if I was going to spend a year or more in Germany, I'd just buy another one there. Put yours into storage here, or give it to a friend to take care of while you're gone. We've all seen how the price of a good truck can be marked up a lot compared to how much it costs in Europe. Korea might be another story though.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
Talk to CBP yourself. Don?t use the internet for important matters.

Just because they enforce the rules, doesn't mean they know them. I would speak to a lawyer about it, not CBP.

The rules may be different if it is an armed forces related move.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
This sounds like a job for (cue echo sound effect") "The Defender of Defenders" aka Will H.

Surveyor

I posed this question to Uncle Doug several years ago. He responded quoting Federal Law.

"Any vehicle that has been imported to the US either by the manufacturer or grey market that leaves the US has to go through the process all over again if it has been outside the US for longer than 12 mos"

He said he has imported cars that were bought at dealerships here and taken on job assignments overseas. The return was treated as an import by Customs.

1of40

There is a program called the Carnet that would be helpful if the period outside the US was under a year. It’s designed for many different kinds of property no just vehicles to allow for re-entry tax free. There are exceptions to most rules but a law firm will be the start and I would estimate they’ll take a healthy pound of flesh.

You can do like others have done and bring it back as parts and not a vehicle.

Jeff B

Well, obviously Chris's big question here is the frame.
When it came in the first time, it had the OG VIN.
Now it's had the frame replaced and that is gone.
I'd guess everything else passes....