Prepared?

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Ironically, I've been thinking about this just recently, since I just got my dash put together, and it always spooks me out thinking of all the wiring, and how just one could pop off and start to short just because I was trying to close the dash up and it hooked on something. So I'm always hyper alert for a few days after doing some work.

But also, I actually did have an electrical fire behind the dash in the Series two days ago! I shut off the engine and rolled to a stop, then jumped out with my first instinct to disconnect the battery and use the extinguisher. By the time I got the hood open, the fire had put itself out, as it was just a single wire that had dropped down and rubbed in the wrong way, and finally started to catch. Ended up being just a lot of smoke and a racing heart.

The Dro

Illustrious
Dam... That was sad to see.

I had a similar experience with my 88" IIA. The solenoid wire shorted and turned the started on. I was lucky enough I was coming back from HH a few feet from my house and was able to jump out of the car to disconnect the battery.

I feel sorry for that doode... See your rig burn to the ground must be very sad indeed.

uc4me

Wow, Amazed how this guy was able to calmly (as one can be in this situation) document this while methodically dealing with the situation. Some good lessons to take away from this. I'm getting a couple more fire extinguishers.. Good ones.

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
I have a marine battery disconnect on the seat box to the side of my e-brake (behind my calves). I consider that essential.

I feel both sad for the guy and proud of him. I appreciate the work necessary to keep the fire under control and save some essentials. Nice head on his shoulders.

SARTech

It is a concern. I think fuel and oil leaks are the biggest threat of causing fires. I am highly suspension of a guy that films while his rig is burning in the middle of a desert.

I was in a helicopter once that was on fire and filming was the absolute last thing on my mind. The helicopter fire was cause by a leaky fuel line.

rover4x4

Who on this board would take time to calmly set up a camera to document them unpacking their burning truck?

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).jpg
    Screenshot (7).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 199

Ash

These things caught my eye recently -- could be a great replacement to a traditional extinguisher, with far less upkeep and a smaller footprint. You could even light one off and toss it in the engine bay to then deal with other areas if you were facing a more complex fire. Looks like they offer 50 and 100-second discharge models that appear to just ignite similar to a road flare.

models_topbanner.jpg

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GwzZJInS40g" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Well, for one, he probably has the camera gear front and center ready to set up on a regular basis. If you've ever tried to document a drive like this, it takes a lot of effort to get out, run ahead, set the camera, drive by, get out, get the camera, get back in the rig.... So I bet he has a system to do just that very quickly.

Also, I bet the fire actually spread quite slowly, even though it was obvious that it wouldn't go out from early on.

I have an extinguisher in each truck.... but they are old, so I'm making another visit to Costco this weekend to stock up. I think I'll carry a small one, easily accessible in each rig, but also have a larger back-up one tucked away someplace in the back where I don't have to have it in the way, but it's there when needed.

Also, in Oregon at least, it is actually illegal to do back roads travel without fire suppression equipment in the car. ...This is something I'm sure the flood of Portland Subaru drivers are fully aware of.... But you are supposed to carry a shovel, and a few other items as well. I don't generally look at the list on the signs because I always have water and an extinguisher and a shovel and pulaski anyway.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Having been an auto fraud investigator many years ago, my red flags fluttered a bit with this one simply because he's so calm. I prefer to think he's got excellent survival training and had everything planned out.
But how many of us would go out in the apparent middle of nowhere solo? I have a sense he knows what he's doing.
Wonder if he got another wrangler....

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
It could be interpreted as suspicious... I would hope he wouldn't be THIS desperate for a newer, new Jeep.

I go out there a lot, on my own, same area. I'm not sure exactly where he was, but I recognize some of the background landscape in that video.

uc4me

Ya, the tip off for me was his reaching in the cooler for a cold....Coconut water?? (grinning).

Red90

Make sure you have training and practice using an extinguisher. Most people will empty a little one before getting the fire out. An emergency is not the time to first find out what happens when you pull the trigger. You will also see that you want a decent sized one.

MountainD

Having been an auto fraud investigator many years ago, my red flags fluttered a bit with this one simply because he's so calm. I prefer to think he's got excellent survival training and had everything planned out.
But how many of us would go out in the apparent middle of nowhere solo? I have a sense he knows what he's doing.
Wonder if he got another wrangler....

Survival training? Well, he did have a riffle, a shotgun, 2 pistols and his sig... So yeah, I bet he is sort of one of those kind of guys to a point... I ain't jumping to any conclusions. There is a lot that happens in a moment like that and I know folks that would be crying sitting watching it burn but I wouldn't be one of them. I would probably be like him... not filming while you tried everything and then grab all that i could. If I had a camera and could quickly throw it up, I probably would. Why? Every injury, crash, or amazing thing that I have done, I have always wanted to see film of it and several I have... Here--hold my beer. And grab your phone...

MountainD

These things caught my eye recently -- could be a great replacement to a traditional extinguisher, with far less upkeep and a smaller footprint. You could even light one off and toss it in the engine bay to then deal with other areas if you were facing a more complex fire. Looks like they offer 50 and 100-second discharge models that appear to just ignite similar to a road flare.

I'm interested pending independent review :). I'll google later....

pmatusov

Callsign: AK6PM
Purchased, installed in vehicle :)
Thanks again for the tip!