Left turn signal fast flash- stumped

FlyersFan76

My left turn signal is blinking is the fast pattern like a light bulb is out. But it isn't.

The symptoms change depending on a couple different factors.

No lights (headlights, etc.) on the turn signal is blinking normally. Appling the brakes I get a fast blink.

With the lights on I get a fast blink. When I apply the brake pedal they stop blinking and the bulbs actually have a steady but very low light. Can really on see it when it is dark out or the lenses are off.

One of the wires (red with yellow stripe) was disconnected before getting these symptoms. With that wire disconnected the left turn signals work even less. Like I get a fast blink even when the lights are switched off.

Harzards work as normal. Under all conditions even when applying the brake pedal.

The left rear red light does not illuminate at all and the bulb is good.

There is 1 green wire not connected but not sure where it is supposed to be connected to if anything.

And I just got the truck back from being inspected also. Figures.

Red90

You have a bad ground. When you use the other lights, you are back feeding power through the common ground.

1of40

I’ve had similar blinking issues in my 83 110 last year. I check every ground, cleaned light sockets and smeared dielectric grease inside for good measure. This year my gift for caring and feed this 35yo toddler is my rear running lights are not coming on. I haven’t started the search for faults yet but need to before I get pullled over again.

FlyersFan76

Could this be the bad ground.

Move or clean or both?

Attachments

• IMG_20180510_0720007.jpg
    IMG_20180510_0720007.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20180509_2023404.jpg
    IMG_20180509_2023404.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 194

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Put the signal on and runa jumper wire from the suspect bad ground to the engine or bare frame . No one can tell you from a picture

FlyersFan76

Thanks. I figured as such. I was just pointing out a potential place to start.

The electrics are not my strong suit.

Red90

You can see how all of the grounds join at a block and then one goes off into the loom. It grounds at the main ground point on the bulkhead. You most likely have a bad connection somewhere in there. Usually the easiest thing to do is add a ground from that black to the body instead of chasing down that long wire. You could use one of the bolts that is holding on that light.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
If there is an extra spot in that black licorice looking block you can always add a ground from it to the bolt John is talking about via a bullet connector. It will aid pretty much everything hooked up to that ground wire circuit.

FlyersFan76

Thanks.

I got home to late last night so didn't get a change to look into it more.

It is starting to make sense now.

Stupid question. What gauge wire is that normally?

Funny home electric doesn't scare me (anything outside the circuit panel) but when it comes to cars it almost seems like alien language

Hmm wonder if I can sneak into the garage on Sunday night when I get home to work on it. (psst mothers day) :)

Thanks

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
I use to know the answer to what gauge the stock wiring is. I think it is 16 gauge but certainly going larger isn't wrong. I'm sure John knows the answer and will chime in soon.

WreckITFrank

Technical Excellence Contributor
Just spent way too much doing my led conversion. Bought about 15 meters of various colors up the road at Britishwiring, (fortunately about 20 minutes from my house). Most of it was 14 strand/18AWG, and some was 28 strand/14AWG (to match rear FOG and spare purple wire). The connectors I bought from LRdirect to plug into my Wipac's are like 20AWG wire, which is annoying but being LED I guess it does not matter.

Here is how I found out which was the standard.

FlyersFan76

It usually is.
Glad you fixed it.

Thanks once I read ground I figured it was much easier than any other wiring issue.

Would you happen to have a pic of exactly what you did to fix the issue? I have the same problem with mine. Thanks

I didn't exactly fix it just yet.

But it appears that the ground on my rear light was/is not making a connection to the body like the right rear light probably is. I ran a wire from that licorice looking bundle of wire to the screw holding the light to the body to test it and it started working. I am going to run a wire from that same bundle of wires to through the "plugged" hole where the rest are and have the wire crimped to an "eye" wire termination and screw that to the screw holding the light to the body.

I'll try to grab a pic when finished.

Noyac40

Thanks once I read ground I figured it was much easier than any other wiring issue.

I didn't exactly fix it just yet.

But it appears that the ground on my rear light was/is not making a connection to the body like the right rear light probably is. I ran a wire from that licorice looking bundle of wire to the screw holding the light to the body to test it and it started working. I am going to run a wire from that same bundle of wires to through the "plugged" hole where the rest are and have the wire crimped to an "eye" wire termination and screw that to the screw holding the light to the body.

I'll try to grab a pic when finished.

That's very helpful, thanks!

FlyersFan76

I finally got around to fixing this. End of school prep for the family to leave for the summer. Now I am how alone with projects to finally get around to. But I partially fractured my foot so by the time I get home I usually want to sit. Doesn't help my already ailing back either.

Anyway not many pictures could be taken I was able to use a cold chisel to get the old ground wire removed from the body. I put the new screw up from the bottom as reaching the nut from below is darn near impossible. I used #8 nut and bolt for that. I'll add pictures later. For some reason I guess I didn't take pictures or my phone didn't snap them when I thought it did.

On the rear light I used a #6 bolt and nut where the copper ground wire is and put the ground on body in the back obviously. lol

I put a nut on the body side then the grounding wire hoop then lock washer and another nut. I figured it had 2 nuts less chance they would loosen.

I probably could have put the screw from the back side in and putting the nut inside the lens but I wasn't sure if the length of the screws would have worked too well.

Ironically when I tested the lights the bulb started to cloud up so I need to replace a bulb. I put another one in and all seemed to work great.

I am eventually replacing the lights anyway in the fall so I figured this would get me through the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20180620_1942284.jpg
    IMG_20180620_1942284.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 173