RHD Power Steering Gearbox

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Have you adjusted the box @ all ?
Have a rhd 110 here that is getting converted to lhd and getting an R2.8.
Sure the owner would happily sell the steering box to defray some cost.

pmatusov

Technical Excellence Contributor
Callsign: AK6PM
Meridian in San Diego blew my mind away by giving me a RHD power steering box (for a NAS RRC). I am sure it still sits on their shelf somewhere.

FluByU

It’s been adjusted to the point it doesn’t center up on its own anymore. Doug let me know if the owner wants to part with it.

roverrange

Ouch - so around $6k if I want power steering installed with genuine parts... I will just keep it as-is and consider it my workout. I really don't mind not having ps

Red90

No. It should not cost that much. $200 for a pump, $400 for a box. You need to get the brackets used as they are not available new. Probably $1000 for all the bits and the install is a few hours and simple enough to do yourself.

DefendersNW

Ouch - so around $6k if I want power steering installed with genuine parts... I will just keep it as-is and consider it my workout. I really don't mind not having ps

That would be for NOS all new genuine parts - you should expect UTO or aftermarket parts and DIY to get it done for between $1000 and $2000

Red90

When you describe it won?t return to Center it makes me feel you don?t understand how to adjust it correctly.

Have you adjusted the hub and swivel bearings? How about the panhard rod.

FluByU

I do know how to adjust it, it does return to center but not the way that it should. There is a significant amount of play in the gearbox, almost 3inches of steering play before the wheels start to turn. Front hubs have been rebuilt and panhard bar replaced with new rod ends. I?m gradually restoring it and starting at the front and working my way towards the end.