Love a fresh service. - transmission pan swap too

hillstrubl

Founding Member
Just had a transmission pan swap (to the ZF branded metal one), new sleeve, fluid (got a great deal from a local Ford dealer for their branded version of the same fluid), both diffs, engine oil, tire rotation (that really needed it). It drives like brand new. Now if I could diagnose the sporadic "cruise control not available" demon every 4 or 5 times I drive it (battery is definitely good, no wiring splice issues, no tailights out... Going to try the brake switch next...

broncoduecer

Technical Excellence Contributor
Yeah it's crazy how much difference all that new juice can make.
How many miles was it since the last diff change?
How much did you get the fluid for and what was the part number?

I'd say my cruise control in the LR3 is pretty lazy. Meaning it takes it's sweet ass time to get to the speed you set. And isn't that great at holding the speeds on grades. It's ok, but it's got a wide range of what it deems acceptable.

1of40

Can you post a pic of the receipts details from Ford so we can leverage from that great idea?

hillstrubl

Founding Member
Yeah it's crazy how much difference all that new juice can make.
How many miles was it since the last diff change?

I honestly don't know. I bought the truck from Justin at Lucky8 with ~120K on it. I'm at about 132K now. It never had issues (and the sleeve wasn't leaking when it was pulled apart) until this winter when it would shift a bit harder into 2nd when it was especially cold. I wanted to get in front of any issues, I'm glad I did now. I'm aiming to tow a TJ my dad owns soon to sell, hence my motivation to get the trans in its best shape.

I'm glad the "grinding" noise also turned out to be tires as opposed to the diff or wheel bearing.

How much did you get the fluid for and what was the part number?
Can you post a pic of the receipts details from Ford so we can leverage from that great idea?
Yes, I have to find it, will re-post back
I'd say my cruise control in the LR3 is pretty lazy. Meaning it takes it's sweet ass time to get to the speed you set. And isn't that great at holding the speeds on grades. It's ok, but it's got a wide range of what it deems acceptable.
I don't use mine much, its more that the error pops up maybe 20% of the time I drive it now.

1of40

I sent an oil sample out Monday to Blackstone. JLR says oil/filter changes at 15K intervals on our '16 SCV6 LR4. That takes a lot of faith so I'm testing at 10K. We'll see what the analysis has to say about that next week.

LR Max

Yeah I did a transmission service in my LR3. Bought the kit from california transmission service or whatever they are called. Much cheaper than anywhere else for Genuine ZF6. It did help a lot with the transmission.

Transfer case looked ok and front diff was mostly ok but was ready for a change. Rear diff fluid looked like crap. Rear diff is making noise but hasn't gotten any worse. New BFG ATs helped with the noise as well. But on the bright side, now that means I need an ARB air locker in the rear.

Also tie rods...huge improvement and stupid easy. 1 hour per side, easy. Probably closer to 30 if you can sling parts easily.

Taking the LR3 out on its first real trip this weekend after getting it in top shape. Excited to see how it performs, but I'm sure it'll be stellar.

hillstrubl

Founding Member
Ford Mercon SP fluid. $9/quart at the local Ford dealer. The only difference is red dye (exact same ZF transmission used in navigator). The metal pan part (from ZF directly) actually had (I believe) a ford raptor part lookup.

Attachments

• mercon SP.jpg
    mercon SP.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 213

hillstrubl

Founding Member
I sent an oil sample out Monday to Blackstone. JLR says oil/filter changes at 15K intervals on our '16 SCV6 LR4. That takes a lot of faith so I'm testing at 10K. We'll see what the analysis has to say about that next week.

What was the result of the test?