Install a diesel air heater

steinhnj

When I installed my Webasto, I dropped the tank and took off the dip tube plate from the top of the tank. The kit came with a steel dip tube, so I drilled the right diameter hole in the plate and welded the tube that came with the kit into it. I used some scrap steel and took a section of the supplied dip tube (came with quite a bit extra) and practiced the weld a few times before welding it to the actual dip tube plate.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
When I installed my Webasto, I dropped the tank and took off the dip tube plate from the top of the tank. The kit came with a steel dip tube, so I drilled the right diameter hole in the plate and welded the tube that came with the kit into it. I used some scrap steel and took a section of the supplied dip tube (came with quite a bit extra) and practiced the weld a few times before welding it to the actual dip tube plate.

Using that a lot in Hi ?

mitherial

For the auxiliary fuel tank, depending on your exact vehicle, there are several prefabricated options from FrontRunner. I would call them to verify fit before ordering.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...nk-right-side-land-rover-defender-90-td5.html

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...el-tank-left-side-land-rover-defender-90.html

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...k-right-side-land-rover-defender-110-130.html

FrontRunner is on the expensive side, of course--but everything I have seen from them has been a quality, solidly-made product; I just wish that the risers for their so-called "low-profile" roof-racks were less tall (for aesthetic reasons), because I love their modular rack accessory line.

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
For a 110 you need both tanks FTLD27 and FTLD008 cost for both is about $1,500.
The little 3 gallon will be much cheaper.

Red90

I did that for my 90. Not sure I've seen a commercial one.

Apparently I do not have a clean photo... :D
100_2419_w580_h436.jpg

My 110 has a separate filler to its 100+ liter second tank, but that truck is a wee bit custom.

RDavisinVA

The pipe must come through the back side of the one in the picture.
That's a pretty cool setup.
I think the pipe diameter is probably too small for an early steel tank model.

Red90

The pipe must come through the back side of the one in the picture.
That's a pretty cool setup.
I think the pipe diameter is probably too small for an early steel tank model.

Yes, but on the early tanks the suction pipe and sender come off the side. They are simple to remove from the tank and weld/braze on a second suction line with the tank in place.

On a TD5 tank, you need to drop it to access the suction lines, so the thing above makes life easier.

RDavisinVA

Agreed.
I had thought about making an adapter like that years ago out of an old tank neck.
Although the one I thought of would've had the large pipe shorter and the outside of the small pipe at a 45 deg angle.
Either way the concept is sound and the device very functional.

Yes, but on the early tanks the suction pipe and sender come off the side. They are simple to remove from the tank and weld/braze on a second suction line with the tank in place.

On a TD5 tank, you need to drop it to access the suction lines, so the thing above makes life easier.

Yes I just never liked heating up the sender/pickup even though the sender is further out on the tube, there are electrical connections coming through.

Motorradmark

Callsign: KO4FIC

If you connect to the top of the tank on the side near the filler it will only pull air. That port doesn't go down into the fuel.

Pic attached is the inside of a 200/300 tank setup for diesel.

Check, that is my return line. Mine has the plate on top with a dip already installed. Remembered it when I swapped tanks a few years back and kept my old top plate, it has a dip tube, will test it with a mityvac to ensure fuel still rises up.

RDavisinVA

The early diesel tanks only have the filler and dip tube on the left side, but am not willing to weld on it because of the electrical connections.
There is not a top plate or pickup and the tank has no provision to add a top plate.

Napalm00

The early diesel tanks only have the filler and dip tube on the left side, but am not willing to weld on it because of the electrical connections.
There is not a top plate or pickup and the tank has no provision to add a top plate.

I guess if you have the really early tank, dont want to weld and dont want to "t" you could possibly just use a bulkhead style double compression fitting...you would only need to drill a hole and use crush washers?