Steering Issues

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
This is something I've managed to ignore long enough.

There is something going on with my steering where, especially when at about 45 mph or more, and while going around normal corners. I'm feeling a sort of inconsistency/stiffness/or otherwise oddness in the steering.

It is subtle, but may be stronger now than it has been.

One of the things I seem to be feeling is that it is stiff when turning to the right, but not so when going left. This means that if I stiffly turn right, even the slightest correction back to the left is often surprisingly more affective. And sometimes it feels as if the steering wheel is not pointed where I expect the wheels are pointed -- inconsistently aligned to one another.

I've got a new steering dampener. I've checked the steering joints. The belt and pump seem to be working normally. There are no leaks. The reservoir is full. There are no odd sounds. And there is no damage to the linkages, that I can see. The wheels are well balanced.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
Check the steering shaft. I had a similar sounding issue where it was bent slightly and would be stiff/catch.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Jason stopped giggling at his own joke long enough to tell me that he had what he thought was the same issues, and had to bleed the air out. :D

I doubt there would be a mix up on the LHD vs RHD parts, it is factory LHD.