Sudden and intermittent lose of power

burlsube

I've been trying to chase this down for a while, so I think it is time to ask the hive mind.

On an intermittent basis I will be driving along and all of sudden the truck will lose power (maybe better described as speed and/or forward momentum) for about 2-3 seconds. Power will come back and I can proceed on my way. It feels like someone stabbed the clutch quickly. The truck never stalls or stumbles.

Since it happens infrequently I'm not able to isolate any conditions to get it to happen. Seems to be 3 or 4 gear and under 40mph. It can happen 1 or 2 times during a drive. Not sure if that even matters. I have been through about 2-3 tanks of diesel during this time.

Any ideas?

Roverman2010

Well he said 3 to 4 tanks of diesel so it's an oil burner and clutch so it's a manual transmission. Has no truck listed.

When did you last change the fuel filter? For starters

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Good that you are getting into this, as its something likely to repeat itself up until finally the truck dies. Does it happen only on a mostly empty tank? Do you have an electric fuel pump helping things out?

burlsube

I'm going to assume the lift pump is working as the issue only manifests it self intermittently. The injection pump is brand new with only maybe 1k on it.

Are there any transmission/clutch issues that can manifest it self this way?

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
If the engine is dying randomly and restarting I would check the fuel cutoff solenoid switch circuit. It's he little wire that runs to your injection pump.

Just make sure that the Spade on the end is squished a little sore bites really nice and hard. You may also want to try running it off of another 12 volt source and see if the problem goes away then you know you have some sort of problem with that circuit

Red90

I'm going to assume the lift pump is working as the issue only manifests it self intermittently. The injection pump is brand new with only maybe 1k on it.

That is the wrong assumption. The engine will run fine without a lift pump. I ran for two years with no lift pump. You need to test it as your symptoms are a classic lift pump failure. It takes all of ten minutes.