Heated Windscreen Installation

aeo

I have installed a heated windscreen and am trying to get it wired up.

The windscreen has the two tabs on the bottom. A few years ago I had a mechanic build a harness for the future addition of a heated screen. I pulled the leads out from behind the dash. The green and yellow wires had a male connector on one and a female on the other. Dash has two male leads, so I swapped the male wire for a female end and then went to power up the windscreen. Pushed the button and it just turns off. Won't stay on. Prior to connecting the windscreen leads it would cycle through correctly.

I have PRC 6796 fir the screen timer and then it appears that a Hella Relay 003 510-46 is part of the set up too.

The questions are:
1. Does it matter which lead I connect to the wires from the dash?
2. Is that the correct screen timer?
3. Why is it shutting off so quick? What causes that?

Thanks,
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 304

4RF RDS

I cannot comment on your home fab?d wiring harness and relay set up however... This should help? Good luck.
85979785-B5B0-4E51-A0C6-35DE98E95236.jpeg

Kevin88RRC

Is the engine running when you are testing? If it is wired like the standard harness, the timer will shut off if it does not get a signal from the oil pressure switch.

aeo

Is the engine running when you are testing? If it is wired like the standard harness, the timer will shut off if it does not get a signal from the oil pressure switch.

Yes. And the back window wiring works at the switch- it stays on like it's heating the non-existent back window.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
grid warms by resistance. Try reversing your green and yellow wires on the tabs.
Going to assume your yellow is positive and green is negative but no way to tell without a tester.
Last one I did was three tabs. Two outers were ground and center one was positive.

aeo

I disconnected the wires from the screen and the switch now won't turn on at all.
When I connected it and tried to turn it on it's like I blew something. Or a connection is loose from the installation.

I agree that one seems like the ground and the other is positive, I assumed it didn't matter which end was connected to the windscreen. Should one windscreen tab be + and the other a ground?

aeo

I'm starting over. I ordered a new harness.

I need to ground one of the windscreen tabs. I have it set up to be grounded on the left side which is the gauge side. I'd rather not splice it into another gauge ground. The right side has the 12v.

Is there a good spot to ground in the bulkhead?