NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Technical Forums > LS Engine Conversions

Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
SMac

Default Rover Resto Shops Must Be Busy

Posted on the other site as well...

It appears with the robust economy, the Rover restoration business must be booming. I base that on my inability to get any reputable shop from the Rockies west to express any interest in my resto on the NAS 90.

Perhaps it?s my scope of work that?s off putting or not lucrative enough for shops? I?m looking for a reputable shop with prior LS experience to install an LS/6L80E combo into an already restored chassis/body that my young boys and I are undertaking. It would be a clean slate for the shop, (no removal of old powertrain, not a drop of oil/grease/rust to deal with, new parts, and whatever body/interior parts left off to make engine install easier) and I?d also like for said shop to button up the resto to completion (dash, HVAC, etc).

I?d like to keep this project Rockies (Colorado) west for logistics purposes. Am I off base here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
The_Vermonster

I briefly spoke to ECR and they told me they won't take on any new customers with Row trucks right now. They won't do any major work on ROWs for former clients even. They seem to have a ton of work with their new "turn a 90 Nas into a 110" offerings.

I think the profits are too good on importing, restoring and selling. Or atleast, that is what people think from looking at eBay. My brother found a shop that had a RHD, 110, 200Tdi, "outfitted for expedition" (roof rack and arb bumper). It looks like a very nice original truck, they did repaint it recently. Asking $120k. Rediculous. But if shops think they can sell for $100k+ they're going to turn you down 9/10 times.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
rocky

The robust economy is going to result in many more shops building/selling restored vehicles here in the US.
While some will be Rover repair shops who have teamed up with a local trusted Body shop, others will be new to the Rover world and just have their eye on the $$$.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
def90

What’s that ECR nas 90 to 110 conversation cost? Afaf
def90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
xplorutah

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
The robust economy is going to result in many more shops building/selling restored vehicles here in the US.
While some will be Rover repair shops who have teamed up with a local trusted Body shop, others will be new to the Rover world and just have their eye on the $$$.
From what I hear there are no less than 10 companies here in the SLC valley that are importing, polishing and selling Pre-defenders and Defenders. Craziness. They don't really work on them post sale either.
xplorutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
javelinadave
Administrator

Member Trucks

It's the latest version of all the people making AR rifles post AWB. So much garbage with a few quality builds. It is certainly going to be a boom for guys like Zack at RN selling parts and whomever sets up shops to un-fuck the shitty builds people get stuck with.
stu454 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
Contractor

Yeah, there will be a ton of un-fucking going on. I see all kinds of crap ?shops? in Charleston that sell bespoke pieces of re-painted shit all day long.

If a fella were to start a legitimate shop that actually worked on, maintained and restored Land Rovers, they would make a pretty good living. Of course they need to be good at it.

The whole ECR thing blows my mind a little. As a contractor, I?ve always taken the ?shit? work along with the good stuff. Their snobbiness towards any Land Rover other than NAS is honestly a turn off for me. If one day I want a frame off on a NAS 110, but you refused to work on my IIA, I?ll go to the shop that helped me throughout any model rover 10 out of 10 times.

I probably got way off topic.
Contractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
xplorutah

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post

If a fella were to start a legitimate shop that actually worked on, maintained and restored Land Rovers, they would make a pretty good living. Of course they need to be good at it. And if they set realistic delivery dates and communicated with the customer well.

I probably got way off topic.
AND
if they set realistic delivery dates and communicated with the customer well.

These are the things I think would set a great shop apart from the rest.
xplorutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
SMac

I?m thinking ECR has it made. I?m a huge fan of their work but not so much with their business model as some of you have pointed out. I can?t take the ?but we are reasonable when all
Is said and done because we are so NAS experienced? when they want $80K for a rustbucket non-roadworthy NAS 110 or own the Safety Devices contract but won?t sell their bumpers stand-alone, to name a few things. They can drop that schtick and still be good, it just gets old. Look, their perfection costs $$$$ and they should be proud of that. Seriously. You have to remember that their clientele I?m going to guess is in a completely different stratosphere financially than many of us enthusiasts. They can wait for their turn (I?m sure their NAS is not their daily driver), won?t think twice about ECR utilizing only the best parts and procedures, and wait for the build to be done on ECRs schedule. I?m also going to guess that on the opposite end of the spectrum, many of the other reputable builders have enthusiast clientele that may or may not be truck rich and money poor who don?t have the luxuries afforded to the ECR clientele.

As a business owner myself, Im happy for ECRs success and their model. But their attitude to enthusiasts seems condescending, especially when they continue to interact on these forums by their own choice. Would they not assist a Roverite they ran across in New England stranded on the side of the road? I would like to believe they?d be more than happy to stop and help on their own accord. And I still wouldn?t hesitate to refer a NAS owner with the time and finances to ECR for work, all that being said because I believe they truly are the top dogs in this game.

The problem, same as I see it in the construction game in Idaho, is that the you can?t overnight quality just because the economy supports or demands it. As in structure building, I am going to guess it takes years of work under an experienced builder to be ?good?. I think we are seeing that with ROW trucks springing up everywhere stateside with a paint job.

Anywhoo,

I may have a lead. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #10
mgreenspan

Member Trucks

I'm confused by your post.

I don't think their attitude is condescending towards enthusiasts. Their shop is a specific size because they value quality over quantity. They choose to work primarily on NAS trucks because they are actually worth money and likely aren't coming in for an engine swap but requiring an entire build from the ground up. If I owned a shop that did rebuilds and refurbs I'd probably require an in person face to face inspection with the vehicle owner if it was a UK spec or ROW vehicle. How many owners don't know how clapped out their trucks are because they've got 5 layers of waxoyl over duct tape holding rust chunks together? It has to be beyond frustrating when the owner doesn't understand that this and that need replacing and you aren't going to save money by reusing old parts.

They got a bumper rebuilt by a company that stopped building them, what are you angry about? I view it as more of a marketing/branding thing. Their trucks all leave looking a certain way... Not like a Hot Wheels toy in a blister pack. Not to mention they made a business deal. They aren't a parts business, I don't think they have any capacity built up to sell just a bumper and ship it any different than a random guy doing that so they choose not to because everyone would demand it. I don't even think they ship used parts lots when they sell them off. It's generally just come pick it up in person.

To me it makes sense to work only on NAS vehicles. I'd prefer my business name to be associated with a builds that are $40k in parts/labor om a $50k vehicle rather than vehicles that have $80k in parts/labor on a $10k vehicle. Later on down the road, quality of work being equal, that NAS is going to be worth closer to what it is selling for and has had invested in it than the ROW. The labor, although always attempted to be recouped by the seller due to poor life choices, should not be considered part of the actual cost of the vehicle.
mgreenspan is offline   Reply With Quote