Help identifying wiring

Shaddrach

I have my dash apart and noticed some wires that are hanging around with no place to go. Does anyone have any clue on any of these? I?ve used a voltmeter and annotated each picture.
Known things that don?t work currently: side repeaters, washer fluid front and rear, rear wiper, reverse lamp.

All these wires are around my steering column. Can?t trace them without further disassembly.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 88F5C3A0-052C-4F7F-B1BD-E5949810EA2C.jpg
    88F5C3A0-052C-4F7F-B1BD-E5949810EA2C.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 323
  • 4E629FD9-8F20-4995-A346-FCFDAABD7AEA.jpg
    4E629FD9-8F20-4995-A346-FCFDAABD7AEA.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 0BCE74C0-8ABA-4D7B-9AB9-6BB25977C595.jpg
    0BCE74C0-8ABA-4D7B-9AB9-6BB25977C595.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 279
  • 3AFE0FD2-881B-4317-9576-D15A45D5E81F.jpg
    3AFE0FD2-881B-4317-9576-D15A45D5E81F.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 39CA6849-D01F-4D65-BCF2-9E2CE280C987.jpg
    39CA6849-D01F-4D65-BCF2-9E2CE280C987.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 319

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Eleltrical diagram in the back of the repair manual has all wire colors and locations .makes it pretty easy

Shaddrach

Eleltrical diagram in the back of the repair manual has all wire colors and locations .makes it pretty easy
Been there. Not much luck deciphering, as many colors are used many times, and I couldnt Where’s Waldo these plugs.

Perhaps mentioning what vehicle would be a good start.....
Doubt it..... it’s an ‘87 110 with a disco 300tdi, left hand drive conversion and ZF auto. Not as easy as an untouched original.
Was just hoping someone could easily recognize the plugs without additional teardown.

Red90

Your pictures do not clearly show the wire colours going to each plug. It is all pretty simple if you can see the wire colours. They are very specific as they follow the British wiring standard.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I'm wondering if the prior owner ported over part of the Discovery wiring harness as well. They have things like electric headlight adjusting

Shaddrach

I'm wondering if the prior owner ported over part of the Discovery wiring harness as well. They have things like electric headlight adjusting

Very good point. I just found a black/yellow wire... electric speedometer. Def don?t have one of those.

RDavisinVA

The first picture is probably a headlamp switch plug or the high low horn switch, pictures are too poor to make an exact determination.

Follow Johnny B's advice and you will find the answers you seek...

For example: looking at the wiring diagram one can quickly determine that blue with red and blue with white are the high and low beam headlamps,
These colors are NOT reused for anything else, just high and low beams ONLY.
So if I were looking to figure out what the plug in the first picture is I would not call Sherlock Homes to figure out that that since it has blue with red and blue with white that it must have something to do with the headlamps, provided it is not dead wires installed by a PO.

Roverman2010

The first picture is probably a headlamp switch plug or the high low horn switch, pictures are too poor to make an exact determination.

Follow Johnny B's advice and you will find the answers you seek...

For example: looking at the wiring diagram one can quickly determine that blue with red and blue with white are the high and low beam headlamps,
These colors are NOT reused for anything else, just high and low beams ONLY.
So if I were looking to figure out what the plug in the first picture is I would not call Sherlock Homes to figure out that that since it has blue with red and blue with white that it must have something to do with the headlamps, provided it is not dead wires installed by a PO.

Blue/white & blue/red Also go to the voltage transformer/regulator in models with one fitted.

RDavisinVA

Blue/white & blue/red Also go to the voltage transformer/regulator in models with one fitted.

If your vehicle does not have a voltage transformer/regulator than the wires are for headlights.
What is a voltage transformer/regulator... anyone?

Red90

As I said, we need a picture or description showing all of the wire colours on a plug in order to help.

Roverman2010

Dim/dip operation, don't worry about it you don't need it. If you got one just disconnect it and tape the wire up out of the way.

RDavisinVA

Dim/dip operation, don't worry about it you don't need it. If you got one just disconnect it and tape the wire up out of the way.

So the British name for the dip switch is a ransformer/regulator?
That's a new one for me.
If it is a dip switch to switch between hi and low beams, those are still wires carrying electrons for the headlamps.
They are just being routed through a switch that can choose hi or lo beams and the blue with red and blue with white are still used for the headlamps and nothing else.
Post 10 is correct.
Hope this helps explain what Johnny B has been trying to convey.

RDavisinVA

Day-time running lights are something that started in the late 90s and carry on today.
I guess it would depend on the particular country that the vehicle was built for, but I have never worked on a Land Rover Series or Defender-Style vehicle that had day-time running lights.
They typically have a 2 position switch that turns on the parking side lamps with the first position and the headlamps and parking side lamps with the second position.
Then the headlamps can be switched on hi or low beam only after being turned on.
If this is what you call a Dim/dip operation in post #14 you shouldn't tape the wire up out of the way if that's how you select hi or low beams.
I can't tell by your vague description.
If you want vague answers ask vague questions and for specific answers ask specific questions.

There is a spring loaded flash high beam switch position as well on the column of Defender-Style Land Rovers that works independently of the 2 position on and off switch.
This will only come on when you hold it in place and otherwise returns to an off position.

Hope this sheds some light (no pun intended).

Roverman2010

As there are places in this world where running lights are a legal requirement. Land Rover used this item PRC8123 to provide Drl by using the low beam lamps at a reduced voltage when your sidelights are on. Power for the unit come from the sidelamp feed and earthed from the low oil pressure switch. As said this system was used for only a short time, and if you have this item fitted and it craps out your lights can stay on in some. that is why I said it can be removed and tape back the wires, it will not effect how your lights work.

It seems only a couple of MY's of 200Tdi's had this?

But all this is not helping the poor chap who started this thread, have you got your Landy sorted yet?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 164