R380 Clutch replacement/mechanism refresh

NPT90

Got some inquiries on the subject so it seems pertinent to post a parts list with an installation post to follow.

My truck is a 300TDI with a long bell-housing R380 (not stumpy, see below) but the parts below should be identical with the exception of the HD Throwout Bearing.

200TDI vehicles should share the same clutch fork arm and throwout bearing.

Parts list:

Clutch kit: DA5551G 97.32 GBP (Paddock)
Slave Pushrod: FTC5199 (Paddock)

Ordered the following from Online Synchro Gearboxes
Defender LT77 & R380 Slickshift inc TD5 BUNDLE 1 131.99 GBP
Clutch Slave Cylinder OEM R380 1 26.00 GBP
ULTRAspec Release Bearing - TDI Pressed Steel 1 75.00 GBP
Land Rover Clutch Alignment Tool TDI/TD5/Series/TDCI/TD4 1 5.00 GBP
Clutch Pushrod Tdi 105mm 1 15.00 GBP

Also this little bit of brilliant engineering from Britannica Restorations (Thanks Red90 for the link)
Super Duty Clutch Forkwas about $70 shipped

While I have the engine out I am also replacing the infamous Rear Main Seal as it will be accessible

I sourced mine from Turner Engineering at a cost of 35 quid (Online Synchro Gearboxes offer a replacement at a lower cost but there is an additional 'dust shield' on the Turner supplied by MWM engineering)

Pulling your 300TDI:
I also required the engine hoist brackets since it appears my 300TDI started life in a Disco vs a Defender
1x Roller 390939 (spacer for bracket) 3 quid
1x ETC8036 (Lifting bracket) 6 quid
1x ETC8031 (lifting bracket) 10 quid
These affix to the engine using:
2x M8 20MM Bolts (front)
2x M8 25MM Bolts (rear)
I used Hex socket cap screws 10.9 grade ordered off Amazon for simplicities sake

I ordered 2 separate pushrods because, from my understanding, they come in different lengths and I figured I would rather have both just in case...

HD Release Bearing notes:
The 'Ultraspec' release bearing from Online Synchro Gearboxes appeared to be of better quality than the Britpart heavy duty release bearing (I noticed some manufacturing differences in the two while looking at the photos) is was 25 quid more but comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Clutch Fork Notes:
As for the Britannica Restorations Clutch Fork, it was simply a much better design IMO than the 'heavy duty arm' which is just another metal plate tacked onto the end of the already flawed design. It's also warranted for life but I hope to never need to use it. It came with all the parts needed to fit a replacement arm.

Video of Clutch fork failure points

Concerning the R380 "Stumpy"

*There does not appear to be a HD throwout bearing available for the UTJ100210

R380 Clutch Release diagram
2.5NA Clutch Release Diagram
LT-77 Clutch Release Diagram

Check the Diagrams above to see part numbers for the variations between 'Stumpy' R380 (usually mounted behind a 200TDI) and 'Long Bellhousing' (usually mounted behind a 300TDI). You can mount a Long Bellhousing R380 behind a 200TDI but it involves relocating the motor mounts so normally you would find a short bellhousing if the transmission is not an LT-77.

If you are unsure of what gearbox you have, easy identification for preliminary inspection:
Shift Pattern on the Left is LT-77
Shift Pattern on the Right is R380

attachment.php

According to Ashcroft the short or 'stumpy' transmissions share mechanics with the 2.5NA

It lists the following parts for the 'Stumpy':
The conversion parts are :

Bellhousing (FTC4018) inc bolts 165 GBP
Pinion 95 GBP
Front Housing 65 GBP
Clutch fork pivot(FTC4173&FTC4174) inc screws 14 GBP
Clutch fork (FTC2957HD) 10 GBP
Clutch fork thrust pads, pair (FRC5255) 4 GBP
Clutch release bearing (UTJ100210) 24 GBP
Clutch release bearing clip (FRC3416) 1.20 GBP

and offers the parts here

Install should be happening in the next few weeks. Plan is to pull the engine vs dropping the drivetrain. Will be installing a Timing Belt Kit also from Turner since I will have the engine in front of me. This should get anyone looking to do this service started on their parts hoard!

NPT90

site admins, you need to add the GBP symbol to the list of characters for NAS-ROW...

24553454846_e80879b714_b.jpg

I mean... come on!

Red90

There is some strange character set mismatch happening. The page source says charset=ISO-8859-1 which should work. So I'm guessing it is a database character set issue as it only shows when the post is saved. The forum is using 8859, but saving to a UTF-8 database, for instance and it they assigns the wrong values.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
How long do clutch forks last? Is it just a case that we keep these trucks longer than most and just wear them out?