NAS Defender 90s wanted!

copleymotorcars

We have been buying and selling NAS Defender 90s since 1995, now with well over 1000 having crossed the threshold here.

We are always looking for new D90s (and 110s) which are in exceptional or very good condition and have reasonable mileage.

If you have one, or know of one for sale, please send me an email adam@copleymotorcars.com

I'm glad to offer a NAS-ROW only finders fee when appropriate ;)

JimC

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Adam, if some one has such an animal, do you prefer to buy outright or sell on commission? How does someone get the best price they can?

copleymotorcars

Hi Jim, our preference is to buy our inventory as it's allows us to better control the product and be sure it is up to our standards before selling it on. (Just about every one of our D90s receives $4000-5000 in servicing before it's offered for sale)

As for getting the best price one can, it's all in the details (ownership history, service records, authenticity to original spec) and more than anything, photography. Good photos make all the difference in the world.

My friend Stephen Jones offers a great tutorial on that here:
https://seconddaily.com/photography-101/

JimC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback, other than miles, it’s hard to tell why a given 110 is 150, 175, 200k etc. I mean, if I was considering selling my 110, I would want to really dial it in to get max $ and kind of like renovating your house, I’m curious which configurations or work sees the highest return at sale time.

And it seems like great restorations outprice solid original trucks any day of the week.

copleymotorcars

Happy to provide further insight.

110s are a market all their own. There are so few of them out there, and they are all different now that they are 25+ years old. Some beautiful authentic originals, some helped along over the years with only frugal repairs, some restored, some modified.

And then beyond the actual state it's in, there's the quality of work that's been done. Well known, long-standing workshops of the highest regard carry a pedigree while backyard restorations or newcomer no name shops are just that.

Great restorations may outprice solid original trucks, but are completely upside down when you factor in the restoration investment.

Most importantly to consider, the NAS 110 market is a slow market. The more unique and personalized any Defender is, the narrower the market. Authentic/stock has the broadest appeal and are the fastest movers, with the one exception of (for the NAS 110 market), automatic transmissions.

A very practical thing to have in a truck like this (although it detracts from the character in my opinion) and definitely opens up the audience to include people who want a fun vehicle that the whole family can drive.

Jeff B

Authentic/stock has the broadest appeal and are the fastest movers, with the one exception of (for the NAS 110 market), automatic transmissions.

A very practical thing to have in a truck like this (although it detracts from the character in my opinion) and definitely opens up the audience to include people who want a fun vehicle that the whole family can drive.

Speaking as someone who learned to drive a manual trans in 1983, I wonder how many people now actually know how?

I also don't want one again... I'm old and lazy.

BarryO

Speaking as someone who learned to drive a manual trans in 1983, I wonder how many people now actually know how?

I also don't want one again... I'm old and lazy.

It's commonly now said that one of the best theft-protection strategies in the U.S. is to have a vehicle with a stick-shift.