Disco Door Locks

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Am I remembering correctly, that if the doors on a Disco I are not unlocking, even if they do move, its because of the actuators?

Anyone have any for sale?

BarryO

It's been several years since I sold my Disco I, but I remember one thing about the door locks: there's a circular, quarter-sized spring in the lock mechanism; when they rust or wear out, the lock doesn't function properly. Fortunately, there are sellers on e-Bay that will sell you just the springs for very little $. Maybe that's what you're seeing(?)

ezzzzzzz

The plastic ring in the lock mechanism of the front door can break causing this effect. I used to hoard these and might have one or two still around. The small circular spring mentioned is another suspect but I've only found that one to be an issue in the rear door. Replacing or fixing the rear is a PITA.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
This is for the two rear doors. One of them is missing the manual lock button, so I'm not really sure what is happening there. But both of them do make the "noise" when you lock/unlock the door. But they seem to only partially unlock. One of them will actually pop open when you try it, but it will stay latched and loose till you physically pull the locking button up, then it opens all the way.

Any photo or PN for the spring?

Is it this? https://cdn.instructables.com/FPN/57Z0/HW8SWS3T/FPN57Z0HW8SWS3T.LARGE.jpg

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
And it looks like I have to go so far as to remove the window rail and interior lock system to replace the spring! .......ugh........

mgreenspan

Founding Member
Just take out the rear seat. Seal the doors with speed tape. Snap off the rear view mirror and forget that they are even a thing.

Honestly, as lame as it sounds I would pay somebody to do anything with disco door insides to never have to open one up again and deal with the annoyance. I generally enjoy taking things apart and fixing them. Never once did I enjoy doing anything inside the doors of my 98.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
LOL! And I was feeling bad about having to seal up the rear moonroof!

I think I did replace the actuators on my fist Disco, many moons ago.

ezzzzzzz

It's a frustrating job only because the limited space makes getting the latch out and back in is very tight. Replacing the spring is a simple task. Take pictures as you go along. Most importantly, pay close attention to the angles that allow you to get it out so you won't fight as hard getting it back in. Once done you'll probably never have to deal with it again. The alternative is using the key to open every time you want in.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I recall some adjustability on the locking mechanism for the front doors. No clue on the rear. They survived until the last day.....

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
It's a frustrating job only because the limited space makes getting the latch out and back in is very tight. Replacing the spring is a simple task. Take pictures as you go along. Most importantly, pay close attention to the angles that allow you to get it out so you won't fight as hard getting it back in. Once done you'll probably never have to deal with it again. The alternative is using the key to open every time you want in.

But the key still activates the same electronic actuators and such for the rear doors, at least. The way to make it work is to open the front door, and reach in and pull the lock tab up -- it rises, just not the last millimeter it needs to unlock. So the door will either still be fully locked, or it will open, but only to the safety catch.