Bug out bag

mgreenspan

Founding Member
It's a bit like recovery equipment. Having a winch and knowing how to use it are different. Didn't Ray post up some info on medical classes at some point or was that on dweb?

LR Max

-Volcano stove with a bag of rice inside of it (figure its dry goods and will last forever), rice is in its own zip lock and so is the volcano
-2 cans of Chunkys soup
-2 MREs
-Cliff bars, Shot blocks, crap like that
-Matches, etc
-2 flashlights
-A blanket
-Couple of water bottles, many are the collapsible kind
-Those little foot warmer thingies
-Deck of cards and a deck of cards for some other game that isn't American...but I figure if I'm stuck somewhere, I'll have plenty of time to figure it out

On top of that, people over the years have bought me "emergency kits", like its in a bag or a bottle or something like that. I've thrown those in there too. Not really needed but, eh.

Except for the food, volcano stove and the survival kits (but those were gifts), everything else was giveaways or freebies from somewhere. So not a lot of money in the entire thing. All of it is in an old north Face Backpack. So pretty cheap investment. Easy to throw in the back if needed.

The goal of the bag is more of a "get home bag" than a bug out. So either stay in place, or try to make the hike home. My office is 25 miles from my house and getting stuck on the road is a real possibility. Its happened. So either be prepared to camp out, walk out, or try to make it to the nearest train station and go back that way.

Ray_G

It's a bit like recovery equipment. Having a winch and knowing how to use it are different. Didn't Ray post up some info on medical classes at some point or was that on dweb?

Matt's spot on, and that's what I was alluding to. I tend to view medical as seperate from a bug out setup-though my bug out setups tend to have basic medical stuff.

What I did was attend Wilderness First Aid, which is a two day program that gives you some good take aways for treating in austere environments where help may not be there soon-or you may have to move someone.

I can do a full write up on the class, and would highly HIGHLY encourage anyone that if they have the time and the ~$200 to take the class, it is worth it in spades. (Worth noting Twin Mtn in WV is looking to host another class Memorial Day, this will utilize the equipment on site like the rollover demo truck for scenario work. If you are already WFA certified there is an advanced WFA being discussed for the fall that will re-certify and do more scenario work)

In the end medical equipment is like anything else in the truck or what have you-it is only as good as your ability to use it (and the skills are perishable).

Just for the humor of it, this was us at the course this fall:
2017-09-19 10.59.29.jpg
This was us the day after Xmas:
fullsizeoutput_1e89.jpg
While i love playing with guns and such, the reality is that the medical skills and a cool head that's been trained will serve most a lot better than other skills.