heater fan not working - 94 RRC

signalMTB

It's been intermittently going on/off, now just nothing. My old 95 did this as well. Odd thing here is, if I turn the control to A/C (snowflake), the fan runs without issue but blows through the vents. I want the topside heat to blow, not the vents. Are there two different fans?

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
The system is split. AC and heat are separate systems on a classic. Yes they have separate blower fans as well. Mine is down to only running on high speed and is noisy then. The a/c only blows on high as well so that means the fan control module outside behind the cowl vents is failing ( have the new updated one ready to install but finding time to work on my own stuff....). The heat blower motor is a huge job on a classic. When replacing the blower motor, be sure to replace the heater core @ same time as they are side by side and it is also frequent failure item @ 24 yrs of age. AB offers the pair as a package deal.

http://www.roverparts.com/Instructions/HBM_8844_1.cfm

belgian

Adding to Doug's comment:
The AC blowers are in the passenger footwell (right above where your passengers feet would be), and are indeed different from the heater blower which is in the center of the dash (in it's own housing).

The AC has it's own resistor for the blower speeds. Mine was broken, and AB sells a updated unit, this is a really quick job since it's located behind the cowl above the hood on the passenger side (picture attached).

The heater blower motor is a pain. The instructions Doug posted helped me through the process (that, patience, and lots of beer).

I attached some pictures of how the dash looks when you extract the unit, and of the housing.

Good luck, and make sure you test all your flaps in the housing unit before you re-install, you don't want to do this process twice.

Attachments

• New Motor.jpg
    New Motor.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 579
  • Housing.jpg
    Housing.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 754
  • Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 517
  • Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 567
  • Resistor.jpg
    Resistor.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 903

signalMTB

Adding to Doug's comment:
The AC blowers are in the passenger footwell (right above where your passengers feet would be), and are indeed different from the heater blower which is in the center of the dash (in it's own housing).

The AC has it's own resistor for the blower speeds. Mine was broken, and AB sells a updated unit, this is a really quick job since it's located behind the cowl above the hood on the passenger side (picture attached).

The heater blower motor is a pain. The instructions Doug posted helped me through the process (that, patience, and lots of beer).

I attached some pictures of how the dash looks when you extract the unit, and of the housing.

Good luck, and make sure you test all your flaps in the housing unit before you re-install, you don't want to do this process twice.

well hell, I knew it wasnt going to be pretty ... I still have to change out the SAS in my L322, so I have no idea where to find time for this. Most likely even my shop wont get into it.

belgian

well hell, I knew it wasnt going to be pretty ... I still have to change out the SAS in my L322, so I have no idea where to find time for this. Most likely even my shop wont get into it.

I understand... I postponed it for a year and a half. Heat is over rated... but once that windshield starts fogging up, you might re-consider.

Jeff B

I was gonna say... it's complicated.
But Uncle Doug basically told you that.

I've been lucky; all I've had to do on both of my Classics is replace the resistor pack which is located behind the passenger side cowl vent on the decker panel. It can be a pain to get access. One was easier than the other due to wiring length.

Here's a good write up on the resistor job.
http://www.okierover.com/fanresistor.htm

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
make sure you test all your flaps in the housing unit before you re-install, you don't want to do this process twice.

Been there done that. Put the whole truck back together only to find one of the flaps wasnt operating/binding up and pulled it back apart

signalMTB

I may ride it out for now and go radiant, I've got to get my CV's redone and new brakes coming in all this week.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
I still have to change out the SAS in my L322, so I have no idea where to find time for this. Most likely even my shop wont get into it.

It is a pretty easy job. IIRC, all you need to do is unbolt the steering shaft from the inside, and take out the four steering column bolts. I can't remember if you need to pull the wheel and harness off the column, but it really isn't bad.

signalMTB

It is a pretty easy job. IIRC, all you need to do is unbolt the steering shaft from the inside, and take out the four steering column bolts. I can't remember if you need to pull the wheel and harness off the column, but it really isn't bad.

oh the steering column? yes, I have had to change two in my life. Not bad, just time consuming. Hey, since you might know, to replace the SAS, do you think I can unbolt the steering shaft from inside the engine bay next to the firewall? I also wonder if I can somehow just unbolt the shaft down by the SAS without having to pull the whole column out.

signalMTB

and update on the heater blower...the Rover fairies came last night and magically fixed it for me, after being out of heat for over a week. Amazing.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
oh the steering column? yes, I have had to change two in my life. Not bad, just time consuming. Hey, since you might know, to replace the SAS, do you think I can unbolt the steering shaft from inside the engine bay next to the firewall? I also wonder if I can somehow just unbolt the shaft down by the SAS without having to pull the whole column out.

Thinking about it, you need to pull the column to do the steering angle sensor.

azarmadillo

If your fans aren't working on you 1990-1994 RRC, it's probably NOT the fans that are faulty. It's probably your blower motor resistor that is shot. Atlantic British makes the ONLY replacement available (other than another suspect used part). I've installed it on my 1991 RRC and have 3 speeds again for both heat and AC. Here's a link to the part.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PRC8010

Installation is funky. If you have kids under 12, their smaller hand size is going to help if you're not taking the dash part or removing the cowl. I didn't take either apart and had to hire the neighbor kid to help reconnect the blower motor resistor's plug inside the dash as my fat hands wouldn't fit through the defroster vent on the top of the dash.

modernbeat

I've got one sitting in the pile of parts to install. Not looking forward to it, and may just disassemble the dash to make it "easier".