Discount for NAS-ROW members

Enjoy this coupon for NAS-ROW members: 15% off orders over $75 thru 12/12/17. Use coupon code NASROW15 on www.secondskinaudio.com

Second Skin is proudly made in the USA of the highest quality materials. We are excited to be included on the NAS-ROW forum to answer insulation questions (noise, heat, vibration, etc.) We look forward to hearing from you.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
Guys,
I have known Ken (the owner of Second Skin) for more than 40 years. He is a stand up guy and very knowledgeable about his products. Don’t be afraid to hit him up with any questions about insulating your truck. His stuff is awesome and his customer service is second to none.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Sitting in my warm basement watching college football and snow falling.... and I thinking that’s it. My truck doesn’t fit inside my garage so wrenching outdoors isn’t going to be happening much for a few months.
But I have been thinking about adding underhood sound reduction. So what’s the lowest temp you can add underhood insulation and not have it fail to stick due to cold temps?

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
I'd like to know what products Ken recommends for different areas of the vehicle keeping in mind that most of these have water leaks in various places.

Sitting in my warm basement watching college football and snow falling.... and I thinking that’s it. My truck doesn’t fit inside my garage so wrenching outdoors isn’t going to be happening much for a few months.
But I have been thinking about adding underhood sound reduction. So what’s the lowest temp you can add underhood insulation and not have it fail to stick due to cold temps?
Snow?! We only got up to about 70f today. Had to get out the coat.

Most of our products are best installed above 50F. Once installed they handle a wide range of temps. For sound and vibration under the hood, the best products to use are Damplifier Pro or Spectrum liquid followed by a layer of HeatWave Pro or Mega Block hydrophobic melamine foam.

I'd like to know what products Ken recommends for different areas of the vehicle keeping in mind that most of these have water leaks in various places.
All of our products are highly water resistant. There are two kinds of noise that enter a vehicle. Structure borne and Air borne. Structure borne noise comes directly from the sheet metal. Installing a constraint layer damper (CLD) will absorb this noise. We offer a peel and stick CLD called Damplifer Pro or a liquid called Spectrum that may be brushed, rolled or sprayed on. This is typically installed inside the doors, floors, firewall and ceiling.
Airborne noise is absorbed with a mass loaded vinyl (MLV) such as Luxury Liner Pro. This product goes on top of the CLD in the same areas. It is a bit heavy at 1lb per sq ft. so the ceiling will require a lighter weight product like HeatWave Pro or Mega Zorbe.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
I would love a to see a recommended shopping list for a Defender. It is easy to get overwhelmed with these kinds of product.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
I would love a to see a recommended shopping list for a Defender. It is easy to get overwhelmed with these kinds of product.

Agreed. I need some insulation for my truck and I was planning on just doing the same old Dynamat Extreme that I used before but this sounds like it might be a better solution.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
Here is what I used on my roof. The first picture is the sound deadener and the second is the thermal insulation. It stopped the "oil canning" noise and it definitely keeps out the Arizona summer heat. I also used the sound deadener in my doors and on the seatbox covers. I can listen to the radio and actually hear what song is playing.
I think a lot of noise comes from the rear wheel well area and will eventually cover it or spray in some sound deadener.

Attachments

• IMG_6305.jpg
    IMG_6305.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_6306.jpg
    IMG_6306.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 262

mongosd2

I put the sound insulation in my 110 when I got it (doors and truck cab roof)and it helps but the reality is a 110 is just plain noisy

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
I put the sound insulation in my 110 when I got it (doors and truck cab roof)and it helps but the reality is a 110 is just plain noisy

I did some work to a NAS D90 SW that the guy had completely insulated with dynamat. Driving it on the highway was like driving a normal car as far as sound goes.

For a Defender, I'd recommend the following:

*CLD for Doors/Floor/Ceiling/Walls - Damplifier Pro Shop Pack (80 sq ft)
*MLV for Doors/Floor/Walls - Luxury Liner Pro (6 sheets)
*Ceiling - HeatWave Pro (1 sheet) or MegaZorbe (3-4 sheets)

If you want to go one step further, you could add Spectrum Spray to any combination of wheel wells/undercarriage/under the hood which will create an undercoating and protect the area from rust as well provide sound deadening.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Going back to my previous statement about the D90 I worked on that had been fully insulated, the owner did everything in steps over a few weekends. He said the biggest difference was made when he installed some sound deadener on the hood. What is the best product for this that isn't spray on?

Going back to my previous statement about the D90 I worked on that had been fully insulated, the owner did everything in steps over a few weekends. He said the biggest difference was made when he installed some sound deadener on the hood. What is the best product for this that isn't spray on?

We have great Hood Kit options or you can start with Damplifier Pro (450-degree heat rating) for vibration noise and heat transfer while adding Heat Wave Pro or Mega Block on top of that. We do recommend using high temp foil tape on the edges of the second layer when being used in the engine bay. These 3 products are the best for engine bay projects.

You can also get a Sample Pack of our products to check them out before ordering.

We are also available by phone from Monday through Friday 9 am to 4 pm Arizona time 1-520-574-7513 or by email at service@secondskinaudio.com to answer any questions for your builds.

With high-quality sound/noise insulation products used in the correct areas and in the correct layers, most vehicles can be quieted down to an enjoyable level.

Sorry for the misprint, we actually would like to extend the 15% coupon offer through 1-12-18, not 12-12-17. So the coupon code for NAS-ROW members: 15% off orders over $75 thru 1/12/17. Use coupon code NASROW15 on www.secondskinaudio.com

Last edited by a moderator: