NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Technical Forums > Defender Technical Discussions

Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
RBBailey

Member Trucks
Default Garrison Window Fix

When I go to do the upgrade to the Garrison felt stuff, what other parts will I need to make it a one shot project so I won't be sitting around for a week waiting for the next part, then the next,.....?
RBBailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
xplorutah

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
When I go to do the upgrade to the Garrison felt stuff, what other parts will I need to make it a one shot project so I won't be sitting around for a week waiting for the next part, then the next,.....?
Pull the windows and tint at that point. So when you reinstall, there are no lines and it is perfect.
xplorutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
rover4x4

Member Trucks

You should get the little gasket that goes over the rivets trust me
rover4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
RBBailey

Member Trucks

Yep, that's the plan.

I have the new roll bar to put in as well, sound deadening, new seat belt bracket, and window trims.... so I have to do the windows first, then I can do the sound deadening, put the seat belt brackets in, then put the trim in, then cut the trim for the new roll bar, then install the roll bar, then reinstall the seats.

So it would really suck to pull the windows to do the Garrison, then realize I don't have all the parts ready to go.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
RBBailey

Member Trucks

By the way, my windows are almost certainly original, and I can tell parts are missing from one, some others from the other, so I have no way to tell what parts I need to rebuild the things.

https://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/922
Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
GuamBomb

Member Trucks

In my opinion the Garrison window kit is not worth the money and effort. I bought it and it is a decent kit, but it would of been far more cost effective and I would of ended up with a far better product by just ordering new window units from Masai.
GuamBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
RBBailey

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamBomb View Post
In my opinion the Garrison window kit is not worth the money and effort. I bought it and it is a decent kit, but it would of been far more cost effective and I would of ended up with a far better product by just ordering new window units from Masai.

I know they will work. But you may be right. The more I'm looking into it, the more work I have to do, refurb, then get what essentially is going to be all new parts except for the frame and windows themselves. Add a bit for the tinting....
Old 06-30-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
GuamBomb

Member Trucks

Plus Masai has some pretty cool options for windows.
GuamBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #9
steinhnj

I bought this kit for my front windows and it didn't fit on a Perentie. I thought they were the same LR window door tops. Apparently not.
steinhnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
johnnyI

Member Trucks
Default Garrison window kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I did the kit a few weeks ago-on my 97 D90- I went ahead and got new draught rails and runner slides as well from Rovers North. Paul is great from Garrison and will walk you through it plus there is a video online for installation. This is what he told me below. It's a bit time consuming but the kit tells you everything you need, there were no surprises. Make sure when you retighten the center rail it is on the tighter side as I left one a bit looser where the window slides a bit more freely and there is a slight rattle still. (installer error -me) I will just re-do that side this weekend.
I wanted to do the tinting but didn't trust myself to do it and didn't have time to send them out as its a daily driver.

"Have you watched the videos showing how it's done? They can be seen on the product page on our site or at www.youtube.com/garrisonoutfitters.
If you?re getting that kind of water ingress it could be the vertical ?squeegee?-like gasket that runs up the vertical fixed pillar in the middle of the window. Make sure that if you replace that gasket that you put it back in facing the right way! Correctly, it keeps water out? Incorrectly in INVITES WATER IN!!!

The other parts aren?t too expensive. Some people use this install as a good time to just restore all the parts. Take a look at the gasket that holds the fixed window pane in place. If it is cracked then replace it. Although I?ve rarely seen ones that need replacing unless the vehicle is really old. That rubber piece is very soft and flexible and usually holds up over the years; same with the rubber filler strip that covers the rivets. That also rarely needs replacing. In fact, I was told by East Coast Rovers that the new ones from Land Rover are thicker and don?t fit properly.

Most common thing that needs replacing are the plastic bottom runner tracks that the windows actually slide on. They are often warped and cracked.

Here are some part numbers to check and replace if needed?

All available through Rovers North. The page on their site for these windows for reference is https://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/922

1) MWC7612 - RUNNER WINDOW BOTTOM SLIDE DEFENDER (PLASTIC BOTTOM TRACK RUNNER) 2 PER VEHICLE
2) MWC7614 ? DRAUGHT RAIL SEAL ( this is the squeegee-style seal the runs down the vertical member in the middle of the window ? 2 per vehicle
3) MUC1008 ? Window Seal (This is what seals between the window and the bodywork. Many Customers just reuse what is already on the window without issue) 2 per vehicle
4) MUC1005 ? Filler Strip (This is the outer filler strip that covers the rivet heads around the perimeter of the frame) 2 per vehicle (rarely needed)
5) MWC7617 ? Glazing Rubber ( This is the rubber that holds in place the fixed window (Check it for cracks and only replace if necessary. Its a very soft and durable rubber ? rarely needs replacing) 2 per vehicle
johnnyI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnnyI For This Useful Post:
BarryO (09-18-2018), Bostondave (07-06-2018), elbee (09-20-2018), LostChord (07-08-2018), RBBailey (07-06-2018)