Brake Caliper - Replace or Repair

SMac

It appears the seals in my front right caliper are toast. I was wondering what the preferred course of action was...repair or replace? If repair, how difficult a job is it. If replace, what are good aftermarket options or is genuine preferred?

Should I repair/replace in sets?

Thanks y'all.

#MDGA

DefendersNW

Always balance refit and repair right/left

If genuine LR calipers a rebuild is certainly less expensive than buying replacements, though time consuming to do correctly. (remove, disassemble, clean, repair, protect, build, install)

If aftermarket, the cost to replace is close to the cost to rebuild and time/labor involved goes way down.

SMac

I'll save the old genuine pair (though they are stamped with Lockheed I believe) for a rebuild down the road. Do you have a preference for aftermarket brand? Seems to be quite a few. AP, Cardone, Centrix, Allmakes, Bearmach, etc.

DefendersNW

I'll save the old genuine pair (though they are stamped with Lockheed I believe) for a rebuild down the road. Do you have a preference for aftermarket brand? Seems to be quite a few. AP, Cardone, Centrix, Allmakes, Bearmach, etc.

Had the best cost performance value with AP but the Allmakes are an excellent value.

When we buy inventory into the store, our suppliers identify defective/return rates on each part by manufacturer. Where there is a very small variation in defectives but a large variation in price we will buy in multiple options. Where the opposite is true we only buy the items with the lowest defective rate.

In this case the AP have a less than .001% defective rate, the Allmakes are running 0.175%, and genuine are no better.

Genuine are $700, AP are $300, Allmakes are $200

The fit and finish on the AP are much nicer however, and the cost is clearly driven by the additional cleaning and prep of the casting.