I got this crazy, dumb idea...

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Jason Rose had a Disco with a 300Tdi and an automatic. Maybe he will chime in with his thoughts.

I love manual trans and couldn't imagine putting an auto behind my three hundy.

DefendersNW

I've driven a few 300tdi with auto, have one auto kit in the shop right now, and another one coming out of a Disco shortly as we are converting it to a manual trans.

The ZF auto robs the diesel engine of just enough HP to make it a nuisance when attempting to get up to speed, when loaded down, or on steep inclines.

Jeff B

I'm currently driving a 300Tdi RRC with ZF.
I was over manual transmissions when I sold my YJ...

Most days I like the ZF/Tdi combo, but on highway drives with certain hills...it's never happy.
Fourth is too high, second is too low...

I just dont like to shift any more.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
Fourth is too high, second is too low...

That was how I felt with the auto in my DII. Going up Afton Mountain it would bog down and then shift into second, which was too low and I would drop to about 55 mph. With my 300Tdi/LT77/1.4 LT230 I could maintain 70 no problem. I can do the same with the 4.6 in my D90 auto.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I'm not even done with my 300Tdi conversion and I already know I would opt for the LS auto if I had to do it again.

On another note. When gas prices were up near $5 per gallon, I went and bought an old BMW E30 for my daily. It made up for not being in my Rover. ;)

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Hours to no end stuck in traffic, many times in steep uphills got me thinking about ditching the Def from daily driving. But anytime I take a normal car to the office I feel I am not myself.

So crazy ideas start crawling in my mind, and a little googling says there's even a kit... So I guess my question is, has anyone done this?: http://http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/defender-auto-conversion-kits/300-tdi-defender-auto-kit.html

I guess you are looking more for an answer have you done this?
Answer is yes.

I've driven a few 300tdi with auto, have one auto kit in the shop right now, and another one coming out of a Disco shortly as we are converting it to a manual trans.

The ZF auto robs the diesel engine of just enough HP to make it a nuisance when attempting to get up to speed, when loaded down, or on steep inclines.

Agreed.
With the 1.4 T-case the result is better, but not optimal.
Ahhh... the trade offs.

I don't know what happened to me yesterday. Today I am my former self, and am suitably ashamed of even thinking about giving up my clutch pedal. I hope it does not happen again!

Attachments

• pussy.jpg
    pussy.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 195

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
I had an automatic 110, but sold it.
While driving it, kept putting my left foot over where the clutch petal would have been if these was one.

^^ See what I mean Santiago? ^^

He's one of my friends with a clutch....:)

And I get him! My revelation came when I remembered the time about 10 years ago when I got an auto Rangie. I would always stab the brake pedal to "downshift" :D:D:D Things flew around! One daughter learned the hard way to always buckle up! I had to sell the darn thing.

:D:D:D