VNT turbo question

burlsube

The turbo on my 200tdi is on its way out. Since I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine I was thinking of upgrading to the VNT.

According to the Allisport side, the turbo can't be set up with a raised air intake, which I already have. Has anyone run them with a raised intake? I dont really do anything to warrant the raise intake, but the 200tdi side air intake (MWC1826) is NLA so it was my only good option to get air into the engine. when it was converted from a 2.5 to 200tdi the air hose was just left dangling in the engine bay.

Also, is it advisable to upgrade the intercooler? I don't plan to tune it much, but I'd like to get some more power and better drivability.

DefendersNW

The turbo on my 200tdi is on its way out. Since I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine I was thinking of upgrading to the VNT.

According to the Allisport side, the turbo can't be set up with a raised air intake, which I already have. Has anyone run them with a raised intake? I dont really do anything to warrant the raise intake, but the 200tdi side air intake (MWC1826) is NLA so it was my only good option to get air into the engine. when it was converted from a 2.5 to 200tdi the air hose was just left dangling in the engine bay.

Also, is it advisable to upgrade the intercooler? I don't plan to tune it much, but I'd like to get some more power and better drivability.

(disclaimer: Allisport dealer)

Yes, you can do a raised intake, preferably the mushroom cap version (vortex) - just watch the intake restriction and keep it as open as possible.

Yes - it never hurts to run a more effective intercooler. Additional volume staves off heat sink, but more effective cooling is the key improvement you are after.

As an aside, if the 2.5/200 conversion didn't address the exhaust piping size all the way back, you will need to replace the smaller (restrictive) 2.5 exhaust with something closer to a 2.75" - 3" exhaust with a spark arrestor and small muffler .

Hope this helps -
Brian

brian@derendersnw.com

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
(disclaimer: Allisport dealer)

Yes, you can do a raised intake, preferably the mushroom cap version (vortex) - just watch the intake restriction and keep it as open as possible.

Yes - it never hurts to run a more effective intercooler. Additional volume staves off heat sink, but more effective cooling is the key improvement you are after.

As an aside, if the 2.5/200 conversion didn't address the exhaust piping size all the way back, you will need to replace the smaller (restrictive) 2.5 exhaust with something closer to a 2.75" - 3" exhaust with a spark arrestor and small muffler .

Hope this helps -
Brian

brian@derendersnw.com

sage advice right there!

BTW, you can come up with turbo inlet piping using all kinds of custom straight and angled bend silicone and aluminum intake parts from a variety of suppliers to meet your needs.