300Tdi fuel feed issues

Jeff B

I will most likely do what I did on my previous truck: install a second Blue Sea fuse panel and power that with a big, fat relay switched by the ignition. I'll power the fuel pump off of the fuse panel. I have a few other accessories that I want to run as ignition-switched so that will be useful.

Please esplain.... I just installed a Blue Sea fuse box run off a circuit breaker but it got me thinking I'd like to add one that is only hot with the ign ON.
Seat box a good location?

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Please esplain.... I just installed a Blue Sea fuse box run off a circuit breaker but it got me thinking I'd like to add one that is only hot with the ign ON.
Seat box a good location?.

I did this install in my old 90. Lucas Ellingson owns it now...not sure if he's on N-R but if he is, maybe he can post pics.

Basically, I needed an ignition-switched fuse block for a few low-amperage applications: my APRS beacon, some small lights, etc. I put a second fuse block in the rear of the drivers-side seat box. This block was powered from the always-hot block (30A) by means of a relay. The relay was triggered by an ignition-hot wire that I spliced off the stereo harness. When the ignition was on, the entire fuse block would be hot. This made it super easy to wire up any ignition-triggered device.

My ex-MOD never had a stereo harness so I'll have to come up with another source for ignition hot.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
There must be a rubber diaphragm in the pump & when/if that fails, and since the pump is driven by a lobe on the cam (hence a hole in the block) could fuel leak into the oil/pan from this point? I've never had this pump fail or do I know the internals of it, this is why I ask, just curious.

I haven't looked at one in a long time, but I'm going to say no, that isn't possible unless the housing itself cracks. If the pump failed, there would be no way for diesel to be pumped into the sump since there is no pump before it. When the pump fails, it just doesn't pump.

AdamSanta85

Any chance anyone wants to do a sedimentar and pump install how to?

What questions do you have?

1. Find location you want to mount them (Frame rail was best for me)

2. Splice them in line into the fuel line, between tank and lift pump. Sedimenter goes before fuel pump.

3. Wire fuel pump up so that it either comes on with the ignition or a manual switch

I used 5/16's fuel line. I bought maybe 5 feet? and some clamps. Those little brackets I made myself (if you couldn't tell) with some aluminum I bought at home depot. I did that so I could install them without having to modify the truck. I used the existing transmission crossmember bolts to hold them up. (black bolts)

Electric pump is optional. You do not need one to install sedimenter.

The hardest part by far was finding a good place to mount it. If you decide to mount where I did, the hard part is done. Get to work.

Kc6hwxC.jpg