1972 Series III 88 RHD Petrol Hard top

Rwollschlager

$7,500 Photos viewable here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ch0a3iqj70qmoja/AADhjgROyseGZlsrduExTUbna?dl=0

This Land Rover belonged to my late friend who passed away unexpectedly, and was in a state of disrepair when I became its caretaker. Over the last few weeks I have installed a new-to-it ex-mod 2.25L petrol 4 cylinder and gone through the whole vehicle to return it to its formerly glory so that it may find a new home. It is a great running and driving example of 1972 Series III RHD 88 hardtop that would be a great rolling restoration or an even better trail truck. Please read the following description and see the extensive pictures and let me know if you have any questions or would like to set up a time to view it!

-The Frame: solid, ungalvanized original frame. It passes the hammer test all around, however there are perforations in driverside front frame horn, and one small hole in the rear crossmember (see photos). These areas are prone to rust on landy?s, replacement parts are available to be welded in, however these in their current condition have lots of life left in them.
-Body Interior: Bulkhead is solid and free of rust. The previous owners have coated the entirety of the footwells, seatbox, and floors in a ugly dynamat-like material, and placed a Wright-Off-Road mat system on top, making the interior remarkably quiet for a 1970?s british tractor. I have pictures of the footwells underneath the mats but because of the dynamat they are not indicative of their condition, so I have included pictures of the footwells from underneath the car to show their condition. The seat box lids have been replaced with plywood, they are under the mat system so they are out of sight. The under seat tool box is missing as well and the battery is housed securely in a marine battery box in the rear bed that has been fastened to the tub. Upper dash and lower dash in excellent shape with no penetrating cracks and exposed foam. Exmoor Trakker hi-back seats with static seatbelts are a huge improvement over stock, and are finished in the correct black vinyl to match the door cards and dash.
-Body Exterior: Unpainted original galvanized trim and bumper. The rover was originally marine blue and was roller painted green. Most of the truck does have an orange peel texture from such, but with great care and patience it can be wet-sanded smooth. Or you could cover it in mud and rub it against some trees like its meant to do and drive it with the biggest smile on your face ever. Either or. Does have some minor imperfections and some small areas of filler. Comes with tailgate with rear tire carrier bracket welded in place AND a full size rear door.
-Brakes and hubs: serviced by previous owner, in excellent condition, no play in the hubs and no pulling when coming to a stop. This vehicle stops timely and straight without having to pump the brakes.
Clutch: new pressure plate, new disc, new master cylinder, new slave cylinder.
Transmission: This is a Series III model, HOWEVER it has been fitted it with a recently serviced Series IIA gearbox which has an unsynchronized 1st and 2nd gear, but a synchronized 3rd and 4th. These Series IIA boxes are known for their robust throw-out bearing mechanism and strength over the later Series III gearboxes.
Cooling: Radiator recently cleaned, pressure tested, and serviced by Bob?s Radiator in Omaha, NE.
Drivetrain: High and low ratio transfer case makes for eight forward gears and two reverse. All in good working order with no rattles, clunks or bangs.
Electrical: NEW wiring loom from paddocks with the correct Land Rover Colour code and behind the dash all wires are tagged and labeled for easy identification. New ignition components include: starter solenoid, ignition coil, plug wires, cap and rotor. All lights work currently. However it would benefit greatly if all the running lights, turn signals, and brake lights were replaced as their housings are cracked and their lenses have seen far better days.
Exhaust: New downpipe and intermediate section.
Steering: Right-hand-drive. No play in the tie rods, relay, or box. Tracks down the road straight and true.
Suspension: Original 7 leaf front, 11 leaf rear with Pro-Comp Explorer shock absorbers.
Wheels/Tires: New hankook dynapro a/t in 235/75/r16. Spare does not match.
Fuel: Brand new weber 34ICH, new double clamped fuel lines, new choke cable. Ex military fuel tank with UNDER SEAT fill. The fuel filler on the outside of the truck does nothing and goes no where. The fuel tank can be replaced and the external fuel filter can be used then.

Optional extras available for additional cost:
Brownchurch full length short-wheelbase roof rack $300
Warn M8000 electric winch $300
Upper tailgate, with brackets, in mint condition $600
Spare Series III Transmission and Transfer Case, rebuildable, $200

More importantly than price, this truck needs to go to a good home that knows what they're getting into. When my friend purchased this truck he had zero clue about rovers and was not very mechanically inclined. During most of his ownership the rover sat broken because of such.

Thank you for looking and please reach out with any questions!

-Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4289.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_4290.JPG
    IMG_4290.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    642.7 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_4288.JPG